incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Draft blog post: Avoiding OpenOffice Download Scams
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:57:56 GMT
On 30 April 2012 19:41, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 April 2012 19:10, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=draft_avoiding_openoffice_download_scams
>>>
>>> I know Louis and others have dealt with these things for longer.
>>> Anything else I should mention?
>>>
>>> I considered adding a discussion of the importance of MD5 hashes,
>>> etc., but that is not really the skill level of the end user who
>>> downloads OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> I'm also cc'ing trademarks@ since it may be of interest to them and/or
>>> they might have feedback.
>>
>> A few suggestions:
>>
>> The first paragraph should be quoted and / or in italic.
>>
>> s/the open source license/its open source license/ - there are several
>> instances of this.
>>

> Yes.
>
>> If the end-user is likely to find the concept of MD5 difficult, won't
>> they also find it difficult to use the provided e-mail link?
>>

> It is a hyperlink so in most cases it will just launch their email.

Sorry, was not clear - I meant that they might have difficulty
de-mangling the anti-spam measure.

Maybe it would be better to direct them to a web-page that can give
more information on reporting such problems.
That page could be updated as necessary (e.g. when the e-mail address
changes on graduation).

Or the page could use plain-text mail links to temporary mail aliases
that are rotated (would need to involve infra on that).

Having a separate reporting page would be much more flexible; just
make sure that its URL does not change (or a redirect is used).

>> i.e. mailto:ooo-private-AT-incubator.apache-DOT-org
>>
>> Also, do such reports need to go to the private mailing list?
>>

> It is for the user's safety.  Otherwise I can be sure we'll get their
> home phone numbers and credit card numbers posted to the public list.
> Remember, we're talking about the very end users who have already been
> scammed once.  So we already know that they are not the most careful
> web users.

OK, understood.