incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] AOO logo rebranding...
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 01:53:53 GMT
Hello All,

Some important points have been made in this thread regarding our the AOO
brand. Some thoughts...

*Re: inclusion of Apache logotype*
Given our new home, I understand that the inclusion of the Apache logo type
is necessary. While additional text in a logotype does add noise and
dilutes the previous logotype recognition, we can minimize the impact,
maintain product name emphasis, by ensuring the OpenOffice type is
predominant in the logotype. Proposal AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg realizes
this goal very well.

 Also, to be clear, there are different types of logos, including logo,
logotype and combination. See http://www.logodesignsource.com/types.html for
more information.

*Re: change*
I agree with Juergen, we should be mindful of retaining our current
branding to maintain continuity, provide a familiar predictable brand and
styling, and support migration. Furthermore, the full impact of changing
the logo and logotype would need to be fully scoped. Moving forward, we
should maintain a full inventory of all graphic resources in the product
that would need to be updated in support of future branding enhancements.
Such a living inventory will support proper scoping and sizing of the
effort. Again, proposal AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg realizes this goal very
well as it includes the current logo and logotype.

*Re: stop gap*
I agree with Graham and Juergen, and have state this point myself in an
earlier post. In support of 3.4, I feel that only minimal changes should be
made to the identity. Update to address Apache requirements, but no more.
This reduces churn in the product and websites, reduces effort, maintains
continuity to support the migration and gives us time to properly research,
scope and size future enhancments. 4.0 release presents a great opportunity
to refresh and enhance the brand, and in concert with a strong marketing
push will give us some great material for promotion.

*Re: user feedback*
Graham makes a good point, such design efforts require input and feedback
from our target audience. We need to ensure that our brand and project
identity elicits recognition, communicates our message and ultimately evoke
the desired emotional response. To realize these goals, we need to
understand what is important to our audience, and what success looks like
to them. Moving forward, we should capture our goals, and measure any
proposed design enhancement using the stated goals - including market
testing and feedback.

As for my selection, I vote for
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg.
Rationale captured above.