incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:31:41 GMT
On 4/17/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Well, I am not advocating removal of any existing accounts.
>>
>> I am sure you didn't. That is not what I said.
>>

>>> What I am advocating is the creation of a set un-ambiguous official
>>> Apache OpenOffice project accounts.
>>
>> what will happened when the unambigous official account get support
>> inquiries everyday?
>>

> Including, quite possibly, requests in various languages?
>

>>> I believe that there is work needing to be done to establish the Apache
>>> OpenOffice identity.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that this is an appropriate step to further that goal.
>>
>> Sure I agree, but my point is really about how to do it based on
>> previous issues.
>>

> So what would you recommend?  How would you propose that we handle
> support requests that come in via Twitter?
>
> 1) Ignore them?
>
> 2) Refer them to support.openoffice.org
>
> 3) Answer simple questions where the answer is unambiguous and clear
> and refer others to support.openoffice.org?

Usually this is the way I have been handled until now. However if we
are going to use it as a group we want to be consistent.

> 4) Something else?
>
> I don't think we want to encourage support via Twitter -- the medium
> is not really suitable for it.  But we'll inevitably get questions.
> These won't be just technical support.  They will be project related
> as well.  I think part of our role (those who volunteer to help with
> the Twitter account) will be to route users to the sources of
> information that will best give them the answers they seek.  In some
> cases this might mean we recommend they send a post to ooo-dev or
> ooo-users.

You can research on the @openofficeorg right now and evaluate what
kind of things will people be looking for, and on that bases create
the strategy. The account has been up for alost 3 years, so there is
things we can do to improve it based on what its already is around.  I
strongly suggest to research on the conversations that has been going
and make proposals from that.

> Personally I don't think this is a bad thing.  It is engagement with
> the users.  A little scary.  Certainly a bit more work.  But social
> engagement is something that can be done well, and when done well can
> reap many benefits for the project.  Of course, it can be done poorly
> and have zero or negative effects.  I think this is the same with
> anything we do. The real question is this:  Do we have volunteers who
> are willing to help do this well?
>
> -Rob
>

>>> //drew

Facebook, Google+,