incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:17:00 GMT
On 4/17/12, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think this provide a bit of confussion on the user end. Also I
>> recognize the struggle of keeping the accounts active. Making multiple
>> accounts will increase the job.
>>

> I think the main consideration will be the number of PPMC members who
> can post to the account. I'm proposing to have up to 10 PPMC members
> have access to the Twitter account.  That should ease the challenge of
> keeping the account active.

How will they access it? This is my main concern, is there a group
service that allow multiple user interaction? How does it work?
Previously we had cotweet, but the service is now not offered anymore.

>> The blog itself has not been updated that frequently, and I am not
>> sure if this will increase as we get a release.
>>

> Surely writing a tweet is easier and requires less effort than writing
> a blog post.

That doesn't mean how active or not an account could become. I am sure
had experience downtimes on the responsiveness of the account.

>> Most of the use of the accounts on my experience is support-like
>> issues. So relying on one single point of contact is also pretty bad.
>>

> That's why I propose to have up to 10 PPMC members on the account.
> Also, I think users will understand that technical support cannot be
> done in 140 characters or less. I'd expect we refer users to the
> support page in most cases.

I am sorry I disagree strongly, users dont care about that. They will
complain and expect help regardless of the ammount of characters they
have, not just once but multiple times a day. That is the BIG
difference between a supossition and the reality of things.

>> Having an AOO-Support and AOO-Annoucement is equally not good strategy
>> in my account because people will tend to stick to the account that
>> they see crossing their path. (Just because we structure one way,
>> doesnt mean users will do so).
>>

> I don't think anyone is proposing two official AOO Twitter accounts.
> We're talking about one.  (Unless I missed something).

Drew wanted 2, I disagreed on my previous email and explain my reasoning.

>> One of the issues of openofficeorg accounts both on Facebook Google
>> plus and twitter had been the issue of keeping the content fresh and
>> also interacting as a group as opposed to an individual.
>>

> I'm sure this will remain an issue for AOO and we'll learn and improve
> at this over time.
>
>> I would argue to stop taking liberties on creating new accounts and
>> instead take liberties on designing a good strategy to solve some of
>> these basic issues that tackle these problems.
>>

> I think that is what we're discussing right now.
>
>> So far I am not even sure how these accounts could be handle by
>> infrastructure and what are the requirements. Rob mention that
>> infrastructure should manage these, but I am also not sure how long
>> will they take to proxy the messages specially when it comes to
>> support and we get 100 inquiries a day (for example).
>>

> I've connected the ApacheOO Twitter account to BirdHerd, which allows
> us to enable up to 10 PPMC members to interact with the single Twitter
> account.
>
> http://birdherd.com/
>
> So I think we have a reasonable solution for that.

I am more interested on you explaining how we can solve these issues
on this email than just forward me the service. How does birdheard
works, and how can groups interact with the account?

> -Rob

OOo name

--
Alexandro Colorado