incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <>
Subject Re: [user guides] Cover art for Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:51:17 GMT
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:59, Rob Weir <> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Jean Weber <> wrote:
>> Thanks for this! Here are my first reactions...
>> I find the gray background a bit gloomy. The name of the book "Getting
>> Started" is too small and almost gets lost against the gray
>> background.
>> Also, this is one of a series of books; the others have names like
>> Apache OpenOffice Writer Guide, Apache OpenOffice Calc Guide, etc, so
>> this one should be Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide (Sorry, my
>> earlier note was misleading about the name.)
> That naming convention *might* be a problem.  As I understand it,
> "Getting Started Guide for Apache OpenOffice" is OK, but "The Apache
> OpenOffice Getting Started Guide" would not be.  They latter name
> suggests it is part of Apache OpenOffice.
> Compare:  "The Microsoft Office Getting Started Guide for Excel"
> versus "Getting Started with Microsoft Excel"
> Generally, avoid using "Apache OpenOffice" as an adjective /modifier
> unless talking about actual Apache release, e..g, Apache OpenOffice
> Calc, etc.
> Regards,
> -Rob

OK, no problem with name change, which will also certainly help
differentiate these books from any official books, if/when there are
any. I will point out that "The" was never part of the title of any of
the books, but rather something that many (most?) people mentally
add... and so, yes, I can see that could be problematic.

Now to pick a good naming convention for the other books in the series.

Does "Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer [Calc, Impress, etc]" work?
I'm tempted to call it "Unofficial Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer"
just to be sure no one gets the wrong idea. Ah, if only "Missing
Manual" were not already trademarked!

View raw message