incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:41:34 GMT
On 26/04/2012, at 12:31, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:27, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Main thing is to avoid having the user be confused about the source of
>>> the documentation.  It is from ODFAuthors, not AOO.  So when we host
>>> the files on the wiki, we should make sure it is clear to the user
>>> where to report errors,where they can go to volunteer, who they can
>>> thank, etc.
>>

>> Regarding hosting the files on the wiki, I assume you mean on a page
>> linked from this one (which needs a major overhaul, probably by me, if
>> we're going to keep it):
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation  I have not
>> been paying close attention to this list, so I am not up to date about
>> what is planned for the wiki.
>>
>> I was under the impression that new ODFAuthors books might not be
>> allowed on the wiki, but rather the wiki would have only a pointer to
>> somewhere else that they might be stored. The last time I paid
>> attention (some time ago), several suggestions (with precedents) had
>> been made. Has that been decided one way or the other?
>>

> Do you have a preference?  If you host the guides externally, then
> you can drive traffic to the ODFAuthors site and maybe get more
> volunteers or even donations.

Everything we have produced to date is stored on the beneficiaries'
wikis (OOo and LO). Our strong preference is to continue this
arrangement. We do NOT want to drive traffic to the ODFAuthors
website. Experience suggests that we do not get quality volunteers
that way, and the site is not set up to be user-friendly to the
general public.

IMO it would be highly preferable for all concerned if any potential
volunteer techwriters were steered towards towards the AOO project,
not ODFAuthors, if those people are interested in working on AOO docs.
AOO really needs to have its own user docs team producing materials
under the Apache license.

> From policy perspective, having the guides on the wiki is debatable.
> I could see it either way.
>
> In favor of it, I'd say:
>
> 1) It is a community wiki where content is welcome from anyone
> 2) We're currently hosting the OOo 3.3 guides there.
>
> Opposing would be:
>
> 1) We should not be distributing large files via the website
> (including the wiki).   This is a bandwidth issue.

What is a "large file"? The individual chapters are in the 500KB - 2MB
range; the full books are rarely over 10MB.

I have no idea how many copies of these files are downloaded per day,
month, year.

> 2) We should not be distributing large files in general outside of a
> release.   A community wiki as a wiki is fine.  But using it as a a
> 3rd party distribution mechanism is more problematic.  That's why we
> have things like the extensions and templates repositories.

If the size of the files, or the volume of downloads, or the general
policy of distributing the docs through the wiki, is a problem, then
let's look at setting up a repository for third-party documentation...
which btw consists of more than just the docs produced by the
ODFAuthors group. IMO that would be the best longer-term arrangement
for all concerned.

--Jean