incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <>
Subject Re: [user guides] Use of AOO logo on cover of ODFAuthors user guide?
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 01:03:22 GMT
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:47, drew jensen <> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 07:15 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:
>> OK, it looks like as a practical matter, using the logo on the cover
>> is out, at least for the first iteration of the Getting Started book.
>> We're unlikely to have time to get a cover design approved by
>> trademarks before the book is published -- unless Drew or someone is
>> even more speedy than usual at coming up with a design. No problem;
>> there's always next time...
> Well, how speedy is speedy - I was going to work on the couple of
> wiki/site pages I raised my hand on next - but I could work on a cover
> today instead. If it is just an official logo and a little text work -
> no biggie at all.
>> assuming we want the logo there at all.
> w/something other then the official logo a bit longer as it means
> actually designing something :)
> Let me know either way,

When talking of a printed book, there are two possible places for the
logo:  on the cover (which can be used as the title page of the free
PDF) and on the title page. The cover should be a nice graphic design.
The title page is generally just text, with an optional logo; as you
say, no biggie to produce a draft.

I would like to have the Getting Started book published to coincide
with the official release of AOO 3.4. Of course, that may not happen
due to other reasons, not just the cover and/or the title page. The
first publication of the book does not need to have a nice graphic
cover, but IMO it would be better if we did have one.

How quickly do we need a title page or cover ready for submission for
approval? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know how long it
would take to get them approved by trademarks. I assume the PPMC would
need to vett them first, before passing them on to trademarks; if so,
that is another delay.

View raw message