incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: rollApp Launches Free Beta “OpenOffice on iPad” Cloud-Service
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:54:33 GMT
On 20 April 2012 12:36, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> This was mentioned in the ODF Plugfest today, in Louis's presentation,
> an interesting use of OpenOffice configured to run on the iPad:
>
> http://blog.rollapp.com/2012/04/rollapp-launches-free-beta-openoffice.html
>
> Rather than recompiling for a tablet, it looks like they are taking a
> remoting approach with virtualized UI.  This allows them to run apps
> like OpenOffice unmodified.

Great interim technology. If they are not already here I hope someone
is reaching out to them and suggesting they might want to work on
embedding UI hooks for their platform. I imagine many things are
clunky when you don't have real mouse actions (no double click, chunky
fingers etc. Such hooks would be useful in many other ways too.

I guess they are sure they will get it into the app store, but I would
imagine some concerns about them providing an app store separate from
Apples. No such problems for Android though - I want it.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)