incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Ditching our mirror system for an inferior solution?
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:42:03 GMT
On 13 April 2012 14:00, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 05:38 -0700, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> Bit late to pretend you're trying to be helpful
>> here with the bits about NIH you like tossing around.
>>
>> What questions are you asking again?  And what facts
>> are you pointing out?  Seems to me we had a working
>> agreementabout a month or so, settled entirely on-list,
>> but yesterday Peter pitches a fit and you decide NOW
>> is the time for complaints?  Gee if that's not kicking
>> sand in the faces of the people who worked out this
>> deal you'll have to excuse me while I figure out where
>> else all this unwanted sand could've come from.
>
> From my recollection the discussion earlier always started from the
> premise that Apache mirrors would take over, I thought because that was
> the policy, only apache mirrors.

Apache mirrors are ones sanctioned and coordinated by the ASF infra
team. They are not ones that the ASF manage. SF are working directly
with ASF Infra so that they become an official ASF mirror, the fact
that they are providing much more than a single mirror site changes
nothing.

Any organisation whether they were part of the previous mirrorbrain
service or not is free to work with ASF Infra to become a part of the
ASF mirror system.

> I asked when (how) it was determined that the Mirrorbrain service was
> broken and had to be replaced?

Nobody said it was broken. What was said is that ASF Infra are not
willing or able to support two distinct mirror systems so either
people step up and move (and support) mirrorbrain at the ASF or the
ASF Infra team step up and make it work. ASF Infra is making it work,
using the resources being offered, including those from SF. Actions
speak louder than words.

I'm sure ASF Infra will continue accept offers of long term support
and assistance from any third party willing and able.

> I pointed out that it had never stopped serving up files, that TTBOMK
> the mirror operators had never notified this project that they would no
> longer work with the project.

True, and the ASF Infra team asked the PPMC to reach our to those
operators and ask them if they wanted to continue as part of the ASF
mirror system. Infra are not dumping the old network, they are
augmenting it with the existing ASF mirror and newcomers. Things look
different when you look from a different angle.

Ross