incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:17:03 GMT
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > Michael, I am curious what has you be interested in the availability of
> an AOO 3.4 Release Candidate.
> >
> >  1. What does it say to you when a project build set is designated a
> "Release Candidate"?
> >
> >  2. What use would you make of such a designated build different from a
> developer snapshot and an actual release (i.e., AOO 3.4[.0])?
> >

> I wonder if there might be some language misunderstanding when we say
> casually, "We'll soon be voting on a Release Candidate"?
>
> To some this could mean we will have a vote to label a particular
> build as a "Release Candidate".  That interpretation would explain
> some of the post we've been seeing.  But that is not how it really
> works.
>
> What actually happens is two things:
>
> 1) The Release Manager (Juergen) declares that a particular build is
> the Release Candidate.
>
> 2) The PMC then votes on whether or not to release the Release Candidate.
>

> When we say "vote on a Release Candidate", some readers might think
> that we're voting to make the Release Candidate.  But we're really
> voting to release the Release Candidate.  Like when I vote for
> candidate for US President, I'm not voting to make him a candidate.
> I'm voting to make him President.

A further point of clarification. Does "Release Candidate" in the ASF have
the same meaning as the traditional meaning. See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

Given this definition, a Release Candidate means the "final" test before
the actual "release".

So, to me, and perhaps others, a "release candidate" is NOT the same as a
release. And, to me, a "release candidate" as opposed to a "release"
implies some predetermined time announced to the public at large, for FINAL
testing -- seems like 2 weeks is typical.

I am not sure at this point if this historical definition applies in the
ASF.

I think it would be valuable to head up a new thread on this -- "What it
means to vote on a release candidate at the ASF" -- or something similar so
folks have a better understanding of "release candidates"/"release" at the
ASF.

> -Rob
>
> >  - Dennis

MzK