incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mirrors, release publishing...again
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:06:06 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 21:57 -0400, Mark Ramm wrote:
> > > A few ways, some worse than others:
> > >
> > > 1) Offer several download links:  "Download from Apache, from
> > > SourceForge, from MirrorBrain". Of course that doesn't balance the
> > > load, but maybe it would if we randomized the order that they are
> > > listed.
> > >
> > > 2) Have a single link, but it is JavaScript that then directs to one
> > > of the three mirrors systems.  This is easy to distribute the load
> > > according to a defined schedule.  Marcus prototyped an approach like
> > > this. It looked like it was working.  I'm not sure, however, whether
> > > it handled fallbacks.  For example, you randomly select to use the
> > > Apache mirror, but the particular operator chosen is down.  User
> > > experience for backing out of that and repeating was as nice as it
> > > could be.

I'll take a look at what Marcus did. It is very easy to just do a "random"
link based on 3 mirror systems -- ASF, SourceForge, MirrorBrain.

> > > 3) Some variation on 3 where we handle the fallbacks better, or at
> > > least handle failures better, so the user just needs to click again.

Yes, this is desirable -- but I think this would involve more server-side
intelligence or ajax programming instead of simple JS.  I'd need to look
into it. Maybe beyond my capabilities. :/

> > I would be in favor of a forth option suggested by Andreas in another
> thread:
> >
> > * Route "autoupdater" traffic through one system (MirrorBrain)

Ah yes...ye olde autoupdater. As of yet, I don't think we have nailed down
the "format" of the feed document for this. I could be wrong, but I haven't
seen anything from anyone -- maybe another separate thread on this is in
order. I tried several approaches to make this actually work, and nothing!
So, this makes sense but ????? I havent' forgotten about it, I just don't
know what to do about it. We need very specific details on constructing the
atom feed and then, of course, constructing it.

> > * Route web based traffic through another (SF as primary, and Apache
> > mirrors as secondary)
>
> Well, that sure looks like to most sane way to go from what I've seen
> described - seems the cleanest way.
>
> //drew

OK, in summary -- I'll take a look at what Marcus has already done -- and
get a prototype "simple" random selection DL script out there early on next
week for additional comments.

> > This eliminates potential problems with "which mirror network is
> > having a problem" kinds of debugging which would be particularly
> > pernicious if we randomized anything about the process. It also has
> > the benefit of most closely matching Joe's original suggestion of how
> > to use SF.net, and provides a clear accountability/support chain for
> > users when downloads fail.
> >
> > SF.net will as previously mentioned provide an API to collect stats on
> > downloads from our system, and we'd be happy to help host a bouncer
> > that forwards requests to a MirrorBrain server so that updater stats
> > can be collected as well if that helps the team measure the release
> > download volume more effectively.
> >
> > --Mark Ramm
> > ====
> > This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
> It may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
> intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any
> attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
Robert Heinlein