incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] new logo in staging only...I think we need a graphic modification
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:16:05 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Guillaume Fernandez (Club) <
> guillm.frndz@club.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > I think that kevin's changes are very important.
> >

> > 1) The looks is indeed more profesionnal. The capitalization has enhanced
> > the
> > natural readability of the logo.
> > The kerning is better while somewhat a little dense (intermediate
> position
> > would
> > be great).
> >

> > 2) The look of the main webpage is crucial : we absolutly have to get a
> > professional look and in my opinion this is not the case today.  because
> > of the
> > JPEG quality and resolution (blurred image). We should improve the
> quality
> > of
> > the JPEG (or use a non-destructive PNG).
> >

> +1.  When I voted in favor of that logo I assumed that was just an example
> rendering and that we had the SVG source for it, so we could scale it to
> other sizes.  If we do not have these sources, then I don't think the logo
> will work.
>

> > Guillaume
> > (I am a new suscriber here at ooo-dev).
> >
> > Hi Kevin,
> > On 04.04.2012 05:55, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> > Kay et al.
> > I can help here. I have the skills and the tools.
> > Beyond getting the right size, I'd like to propose a few other small
> tweak
> > the rendered logo. My proposed enhancements don't change the voted and
> > approved
> > concept, rather, they merely some polish to the concept as we move
> towards
> > production consumption.
> > See proposed enhancements: 4. Enhancements to Selected Logo Concept
> (Kevin
> > Grignon - started 2012-04-04)
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
> > <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals>
> >
> > I like the change of "Apache" to gray but am not so sure about its
> > capitalization. I understand the reason (after you pointed it out to us
> > non-artists :) though.
> > The kerning looks more homogeneous but somewhat dense. For example the i
> > and c
> > in Office seem to almost touch.
> > Regards, Andre
> > I'll need to access the source files.
> > Regards, Kevin
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Kay Schenk<kay....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dave Fisher<dave...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Apr 3, 2012, at 3:59 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > On 04/03/2012 03:46 PM, drew jensen wrote:
> > Maybe one of should drop Michael Acevedo a note, see if he already has a
> > source
> > file handy - xcf, svg.
> > If not - I don't know of a svg (or any vector based) file for the bug
> part
> [...]

It seems Kevin does indeed have the skills to deal with this, and no
argument from me on any of these comments I would definitely be in favor of
him re-doing what we've got in terms of approved content. I personally do
NOT like the gray Apache -- it just seems too light to me, and yes, I
question the capitalization.

This being said...we would certainly welcome help to get corrections made.

I will post specifications in a different thread.

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
Robert Heinlein