incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE} a few DL questions...
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:47:54 GMT
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been working on a prototype of the DL button in the /download/test area
>> given our discussions about split mirror setup for 3.4 etc. I have a  few
>> more edits to do  before sending out a notification about final review
>> (later today).
>>
>> But...I have a few questions for this release.
>>
>> * The DL scripts have a good amount of logic surrounding the naming/download
>> of 3.2 and 3.1 releases-- the "old" naming schema. Since we won't be
>> providing "friendly" DL buttons for these anymore, is it safe to pull this
>> stuff out?
>>
>> * DL locations for Mac PPC and FreeBSD are as follows (excuse wrapping):
>>
>> var MIRROR_MAC_PPC_URL      =
>> "http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/macosppc/";
>> var MIRROR_FREEBSD32_URL    =
>> "http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/freebsdx86/";
>> var MIRROR_FREEBSD64_URL    =
>> "http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/freebsdx86-64/";
>>
>> Will this still be the case or will all versions be served from either
>> Apache or SourceForge? The DL logic needs to be changed if this alternate
>> URL is not used.
>>

> I think the main download link should only provide links to official
> AOO releases.   We could have another section (maybe in other.html)
> where we can point to third party binaries and ports.  But we should
> have a disclaimer making it clear that these packages are not official
> releases.
>
> I also agree that we should not inter-mix 3.3 and 3.4 downloads.
>
> Another thing to consider is how we actually invoke the download.
> Right now we simply link to the SF site.  So after the download is
> done the user is left sitting at SF.  This is not ideal.    I wonder
> whether it would be better to load the SF page in a new page, via
> target="_blank" and then refresh our download.html to contribute.html
> so after the download is done, and the user closes the SF page, they
> are back in the openoffice website with a "thanks for downloading"
> messsage and followup info to engage the user in the community.

Actually to avoid to open new pages we did modify the download page by
adding all info previously available.
We have been beta testing for over a week, and is now live. Hope this
will remove the need to open new pages.

Roberto

> -Rob
>

>> Thanks for your time.
>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>  And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>  Helping you out."
>>                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.