incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Project Twitter Account
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:43:57 GMT
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Social media outreach, via Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc., is an
> important part of outreach to users. Although the Apache developer
> community is firmly rooted in mailing lists, we know that our users
> live in a different world.   If we want to engage with them we need to
> use the tools that they use, and communicate the way they communicate.
>
> Now that we're very close to the AOO 3.4 release, I'd like to start
> with a project Twitter account, under PPMC control.
>
> By "under PPMC control" I mean something similar to how we treat the
> project blog:
>
> -- Any PPMC member, upon request, can have write access.
>
> -- We can use the project's official logo in conjunction with the account.
>
> -- We would promote the account on our project's website.
>
> -- We would generally treat the account as an official voice of the
> project, not as a personal account.
>
> I'm not saying we need to pre-review and and approve every "tweet"
> sent through the account.  But we should set expectations that the
> account is to be used in a professional fashion, upholding the
> standards of this project, not used to settle personal disputes, to
> promote personal business, etc.

An option could be to agree on a simple guideline for that, so that
everyone knows how to handle it. I'm thinking not only about the style of
communication, but also about who to follow, how to engage in
conversations, improve outreach, etc.

> There are already several Twitter accounts that use the OOo name or
> trademarks:
>
> http://twitter.com/#!/openofficeorg  --- This account has 1571
> followers.  But it is not sharing any AOO status, no links to blog
> posts, announcements, etc.  Who controls it?  Are
> we able to get it under PPMC control?  Can we rebrand it as Apache
> OpenOffice?

That could be a good starting point, I think. It seems like if you're the
only one who can send DM to the actual owner's account.

> http://twitter.com/#!/openoffice -- This account seems unused.  Only one
> tweet.

I'd try to get that it too. It's better than ApacheOO, and you might want
to put the full name in the Settings > Account > Name.

Roberto

> http://twitter.com/#!/freeopenoffice -- spammer account.  Links to
> http://www.downloadopenofficefree.com/.
>
> http://twitter.com/#!/ApacheOO -- I created this account, though have
> never used it.  Unfortunately, "Apache OpenOffice" is too long for a
> Twitter account name.  So "ApacheOO" is the closest I got.   I would
> offer this account to the PPMC if we are not able to get use of the
> http://twitter.com/#!/openofficeorg account.
>
> Proposed actions:
>
> 1) I'll send note (or Tweet) to http://twitter.com/#!/openofficeorg
> acccount, asking if the owner would be willing to make the account
> available to the AOO PPMC for project use.  If we get a favorable
> response then we would start using that account, rebrand it, promote
> it, etc.
>
> 2) If there is no favorable response to the above, then we would go
> forward with promoting the http://twitter.com/#!/ApacheOO account.
>
> 3) The PPMC could decide, at a later point, to invoke Twitter's
> trademark policy to register complaints about accounts that misuse our
> trademarks in ways that harm our users:
> https://support.twitter.com/articles/18367.  But I don't see an
> imminent need for that.
>

> -Rob

====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.