incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rollApp Launches Free Beta “OpenOffice on iPad” Cloud-Service
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:19:45 GMT

On 2012-04-20, at 13:36 , Rob Weir wrote:

> This was mentioned in the ODF Plugfest today, in Louis's presentation,
> an interesting use of OpenOffice configured to run on the iPad:
>
> http://blog.rollapp.com/2012/04/rollapp-launches-free-beta-openoffice.html
>
> Rather than recompiling for a tablet, it looks like they are taking a
> remoting approach with virtualized UI.  This allows them to run apps
> like OpenOffice unmodified.
>
> -Rob

Thanks, Rob, for mentioning this. The basic fact is that we need to have ODF on the mobile,
iOS or Android or whatever, as there is no realistic alternative to the billions coming to
computers over the next decade, if not sooner.

My presentation, which I'll send to the ODF site, argued that tablets and the like are requisite
because they use less resources in comparison to desktops. As at present native apps able
to edit ODF on the tablet are not too visible (to a degree they exist or will emerge into
the light soon) and even when they do emerge might require, at least for the current period,
more powerful and thus more costly and hotter machines, "Cloud" solutions (Web software services)
coupled with thin clients (read: tablets) seems the best "interim" solution (as Ross states
in another threaded email).  But this is also the way things are going, to the happiness,
no doubt, of former Sunnies: network is the computer, eh?

From an open source development perspective, there are logistical issues here but again none
is particularly problematical, as long as those wanting to collaborate have a way of doing
that and know they do.

-louis