incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:39:29 GMT

On Apr 22, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> You snipped out the important part:
>>>

>> Sorry, thought you answered your own question there.  But since you
>> bring it up, there is no requirement for a DISCLAIMER file. There is
>> however a requirement for making the user aware of the incubation
>> disclaimer.  See this page, where several options are listed:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer
>
> Keep in mind that page is clearly labeled as a "DRAFT".
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#status
>
> The DISCLAIMER file is certainly in the correct place in the Source distribution.

Well, I was not correct here. It is in the SVN, but fails to make it into any of the distributions.

I did a MacOSX build, reviewed the NOTICE, LICENSE, rat-exclude and rat output from a nightly
build.

An amazing job was done with the Headers and the RAT report!

Here are my concerns:

(1) DISCLAIMER ought to be included in all packages. We'll have to see if this is a SHOULD
or a MUST.

(2) LICENSE contains copyright statements which ought to be part of the NOTICE file. Again
we'll see if this is a SHOULD or a MUST.

(3) When building from source there was no warning about the inclusion of Category B? I think
that the Building Guide should be edited to more clearly explain the ext_sources and ext_libraries.
I know we have the information. It is more making this clear. Again, I'm not sure if it a
SHOULD or a MUST for a build to pause and get explicit permission to download category B.

Regards,
Dave

> I think that I answered the question, but I would like to ask our project Mentors if
this will be an issue in IPMC voting. I've seen enough on general@i.a.o to know that it may
be for some and not others.

> So, while this is not a problem for me, if it is likely IPMC will request an RC2 over
this we should know now.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Rob
>>
>>> The SDK and Binaries are missing the DISCLAIMER file. Is a missing Incubation
DISCLAIMER in a binary package enough to prevent release? I think probably not, but this may
be an edge case. The application pop-ups do mention "Incubation" and every page linked back
to thewww.openoffice.org shows the Disclaimer...