incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Australian OO site
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 08:50:41 GMT
Hi,

On 2012-04-06, at 06:28 , Ian wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I found this http://www.openoffice.org.au/ is it part of the Apache World
> .. or should it be? I can't see how recent it is, but it should probably be
> brought into line with the current world?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

I recall the creation, I believe. There are others--many--that exist. Some have country codes
attached, as the South African one.

To bring them in from the cold, as it were (if not into the "fold") does require, I should
think, some simple and clear protocols, like:

* license policy coherence
* participation and representation: what function do these satellite sites serve? During the
Sun/Oracle regime, many members created these for a couple of reasons, one of them being anxiety
that as Sun had no evident interest the first 9 years of OOo's life of doing so, other, less
friendly interests might squat on the URLs. Another reason was that Sun's license policy,
including the infamous copyright assignment requirement for all code contributed, was seen
as oppressive by these, who created the satellites using different licensing regimes. Finally,
another reason was simply to have a "home" base for operations--soft, friendly, ultimately
helpful diversions--not forks.

I had proposed long ago to weakly coordinate these satellites if only by listing them. I moved
ahead with this under the Regional Community program, and there were some successes. The point
here, though, was that the regionals could establish NGO funding more easily, as tax provisions
across nations (even supranational orgs) lead to insanity and lawyer wealth.

With Apache, much of the above changes and renders moot or irrelevant many of the reasons
for the satellites' creation.

But the satellites also offer a great feature: local representation for local engagement of
local developers and contributors. In the end, development is greatly assisted by knowing
your community as people, not just as an email or IM alias.

And it's really that people make the difference in a community of this sort. Else it's just
theatre.

cheers
Louis

PS I realize I also own now openoffice.ca, which of course I'd be happy to shape into something
for AOO's furtherance.