incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] Tutorial to put online - Translating branding and navigation
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 20:55:03 GMT
Hi Andrea,

On Apr 7, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 05/04/2012 Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Here is what you would do to effect all of the FR site at once for
>> translated branding and navigation buttons:
>
> Thanks for the detailed instructions, that should definitely be put on
> the wiki. I tried to apply them to the IT site:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1310806
> Everything seems OK, but I can't see the changes at
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/it/ or
> http://www.openoffice.org/it/

I think that there was a hiccup with the CMS. Joe asked that you trigger your build again.

I went ahead and added the files for French. I also made a change to a comment in ooo-site/trunk/lib/view.pm.
This is a trick that will cause the staging build to do a full build causing all of the IT
and FR sites to be changed to the new SSI.

>> (1) Create trunk/templates/fr/ssi.mdtext from templates/ssi.mdtext
>> ... Change /brand.mdtext to /fr/brand.html Change /topnav.mdtext to
>> /fr/topnav.mdtext
>
> I did this, just replacing "fr" -> "it".
>
>> (2) Copy /trunk/content/brand.mdtext from content/brand.mdtext
>
> Here I actually copied content/brand.mdtext to content/it/brand.mdtext
> (which is probably what you meant) and edited accordingly.
>
>> (3) Copy /trunk/content/topnav.mdtext from content/topnav.mdtext
>
> Same as (2).
>
>> Commit all three changes at once and the whole of the FR part of the
>> site takes these changes at once. O(1) operation.
>
> I committed, the build was triggered and succeeded but I don't see the
> changes.

The trick with lib/view.pm may be required.

>> If you would like I'll create the mdtext files and then you can
>> translate.
>
> This would probably be helpful to all native-lang projects, since even those not familiar
with SVN could simply submit the translated version of their mdtext files.

Yes, but I want to wait until we do a couple and make sure all the proper details are covered.

We may be adding a news.mdtext and index.mdtext for the main index page, but that will be
a separate thread of work.

And it is not a reason to wait. I'll look into doing it for many NLs this week.

Here is a list of the next NLs to setup:

es, de, nl, fi, pt-br, ru, ja

This scheme only goes a single directory level deep. Is a single translation viable for both
zh_cn and zh_tw? If not then the two sites will need to be separated. I want to be careful
how that is done.

Regards,
Dave