incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:13:00 GMT
Am 04/30/2012 04:53 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> [...]
>>
>> Actual source/binaries are, for us, put in:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/**incubator/ooo/<http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/>
>>
>> This said, you could be right in having issues tracking down problems.
>> Right now, the SF setup is more "user friendly" in my opinion. I thought we
>> were *required* to use Apache for downloads, but maybe we've gotten a
>> dispensation for this release. Though I didn't think is was 100% someplace
>> else. I admit I haven't kept up as much as I should have though.
>>
>> The other issue is how will it LOOK to users -- one moment they may be one
>> place; if they happen to do a shift-reload, they may go someplace else with
>> an entirely different look and feel.

>>> So how about something very simple:
>>>
>>> 1) AOO 3.4 downloads use SourceForge by default from the
>>> /download/index.html page.  Just like they are doing today.
>>>

>> This WOULD make things a lot simpler.
>>

>>> But we also have a links there that point to Apache mirrors for:
>>>
>>> a) Hashes and detached signatures
>>> b) source distribution
>>> c) a link to the full release tree
>>>

>> Well, SF will need to implement in their sidebar or the main page for
>> openoffice.org they have, right?
>>
>> Anyway, good conversation.
>>

>>> In other words, no rolling the dice, noting fancy.  100% of normal
>>> users will download from SF.
>>>
>>> 2) When we enable the automated updates, in a week or two, then we
>>> decide what we want to do.  Maybe we do it via SF.  Maybe MirrorBrain.
>>>   Maybe a mix,
>>>
>>>   On the other side, release time is approaching and I can only hope that
>>>>

>>> I think it is too late for any of those talks to influence how we deal
>>> with AOO 3.4 initial downloads.  But maybe the update downloads in a
>>> couple of weeks.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>>   Regards,
>>>>

>> --
>> ------------
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>   And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>   Helping you out."
>>                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette
>>

> Ok, I am hoping this will be about the last, final review on the new
> download/index.html --
>
> prototype at:
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>
> This assumes SourceForge ONLY, and that the  3.4 pre-built client packs
> will be in the hiearchy as the 3.3 is -- stable, etc.
>
> Naturally NONE of the links will work until something gets out there and
> there is a TON of alerts which I will of course eventually comment out.
>

> It suddenly dawned on me *just today* that we don't want to continue to
> generate links for OSes we no longer support now, like Sun's retinue, and
> for some reason because of how this all operates, it took me forever to fix
> this one aspect.  I could have not bothered with this but well, I didn't
> want to lead folks astray with a "not found" -- so they will now get sent

Good idea. When you could do this also for MacOS X PPC, then the most
famous OSs should be covered.

> So, please test with what you've got and I hope for ALL platforms that we
> do support, you get a link that looks to be correct.
>
> ps. I'm assuming that we will house the actual "source" artifact from
> Apache and this will show up in other.html as well when someone provides
> this information.

When the source tarballs are hosted besides the other binary files, then
we can continue to provide the download links. Otherwise we can also use
fixed download links referring to ASF mirrors only.

Marcus