incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4?
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:00:21 GMT

On 04/29/2012 07:16 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 04/28/2012 06:32 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> I'm already starting to get questions on what we'll be doing after AOO
>> 3.4 is released.  Based on previous conversations on this list, I'm
>> able to speak confidently about a few things:
>>
>> 1) We'll probably graduate to a Top Level Project
>>
>> 2) IBM says they will contribute Symphony source code after 3.4 is
>> released
>>
>> 3) We have some initial feature ideas for AOO 4.0 on the wiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning
>>

>> 4) We also have some ideas listed for an AOO 4.1:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Feature+Planning
>>

>> Beyond that, do we have anything to say?
>>
>> I've heard some discussions that we might want an AOO 3.4.1, which would:
>>
>> A) Add some additional translations
>>
>> B) Fix any important bugs that are found in AOO 3.4
>>
>> C) Uncertain if it would have new features?
>>
>> What time frame would this be?  It seems like it takes around 4-6
>> weeks to iterate on dev builds, do regression testing, cut a Release
>> Candidate, have a two-stage release vote and get the new build
>> distributed.  So it seems it would need to be at least that far out,
>> plus whatever time it takes to do the translations and bug fixing.
>
> If I can make a wish then it would be the following:
>
> In the 3.4 branch we should go on with fixing more bugs and integrate
> new/improved localizations.
>
> Then we can name it AOO 3.4.1. Release would be as soon as we can agree
> that the needed bugs are fixed and the then supported languages are done.
>
> In parallel on trunk we can do more new things like integrate more
> (feature) CWSs from the old project, cleanup more license things, push
> the gbuild transition etc.
>
> At the end it would be an AOO 3.5.0. Release could be in summer time (in
> Australia it would be winter, I guess ;-) ).
>
> What do others think?

I concur with Marcus's analysis and observation here, as well as
comments by Rob and Andrea. Bug fixes and additional localizations to
port to something like 3.4.1, are a given I think. Any changes to the
code base, library replacements etc,  without providing something "new"
in the UI should be "3.5...."

New UI changes or significant new functionality, etc should go to
"4.0..." in my opinion.

This being said, I have no direct experience in naming software product
releases, so others may have a different opinion.

> Marcus
>
>> Does anyone want to start a wiki page for AOO 3.4.1 and start
>> collecting proposed translations and bugs for that release?

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette