incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4?
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:46:00 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> 1) We want to have a maintenance branch that can be used to deliver
> quick-turnaround releases. ...
> 2) We also want feature release, like 3.5, 3.6, etc.  Almost anything
> can go into them.  ...
> 3) Then we have major updates, like 4.0.  These are similar to #2,
> only more substantial.
> Was there a similar distinction made in OOo?

Yes, quite similar. For sure here we would need a 3.4.x branch for
incremental updates (bugfixes only) and one for 4.0 (with a major focus
on specific new features, say, user interface and usability).

The need for other releases like 3.5, 3.6... will depend on how long it
takes to reach 4.0. If I recall correctly, OpenOffice.org used to
maintain one stable branch (bugfixes only, explicitly backported from
trunk) and one main development trunk.

Regards,
   Andrea.