incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 22:11:43 GMT

On 04/27/2012 02:20 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 04/27/2012 01:40 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
>> /download/index.html page at:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>>
>> Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
>> you to see, but will of course go away in production.
>>
>> Basically, choosing the DL site -- Apache or SourceForge (as I believe
>> we agree on for 3.3) is based on selection option #1, so I wanted you to
>> see the results of that. If do a bunch of reloads --<shift> + browser
>> reload button -- you may eventually see changes to the outcome.
>> Right now this is setup with 75% to Apache, 25% to SourceForge.
>
> I don't know if it's just me but I also get a layer message with:
> "New mirror: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/"
>
> Is this intended? Wouldn't it be better to show it directly on the webpage?

no --it's not just you. :/ I did this to verify that I was getting
reasonable right before the actual download. This, of course, will go away.

> So, we concentrate on the point #1 and let #2 and #3 beside for the
> moment/the coming release, right?
>
>> OK, way down below, you will see the normal generated big green DL
>> button. Of course the link will not work (but oddly Apache is very nice
>> and gives us a page to select from at the outset anyway), but you'll
>> observe the link for the chosen DL site.
>
> Yes, the variation works for me.
>
>> Other things to note:
>> * the DL links assume the current location of
>> "/files/stable/VERSION/..." from the top of DL URL area. IF this is not
>> the case for Apache, please let me know
>>
>> * Joe Schaefer said via e-mail that we couldn't use the normal closer.cgi
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html#use
>>
>> for this and I needed to consult with infra on this which I have NOT
>> done yet, so things may change a bit. I hope not drastically
>>
>> * if we DO use closer.cgi as per usual for Apache mirrors, I am fairly
>> certain the target="_blank" to open up the actual DL will not work as
>> what we are doing is running a script, and not really opening up a page
>> directly
>>
>> * didn't even try the redirect to "contribute.html" do to above
>> consideration with closer.cgi
>
> It seems Roberto can help here, too. See his post in the other thread.

yes, what SF ahs done is great! But, it doesn't do us any good if we
also use the Apache distribution mechanism. i.e. if you get the Apache
mirrors rather than SF.

>> * I will be modifying the option area to allow folks to get to the
>> current other.html for 3.3 (all from MirroBrain as recently agreed on)
>> and maybe a link on that to OOo older archives.
>
> I will also handle this with my separation task. So, lets see how this
> will fit together.

I'll just put a link in the options when I get back to to this that will
say something like -- Older stable 3.3 release -- and pop them to

/download/3.3.0

>> * I did quite an edit job on the old languages.js.
>> See revision at:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/languages_new_dl.js
>
> To keep the overview I would suggest to put all needed languages for AOO
> 3.4 on top and move these that were not needed to the bottom and keep
> commented out.

OK, that sounds like a good idea. I'm all for better organization.

>> OK, I guess that's enough for now I guess.
>>
>> My time will be limited on doing much more on this until Sunday. But
>> PLEASE join in to help with this effort if you can! I'm sure we've got
>> some JS wonks out there!
>
> Thanks for your work. I promise to offer help were I can and when my
> spare time allows. :-)

Thanks for this. After this release, I will definitely put more effort
into paramterizing the DL scripts.

> Marcus

MzK

  Helping you out."