incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:31:15 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:
> Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
> /download/index.html page at:
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
> Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
> you to see, but will of course go away in production.

The page is nice, but it's the concept that leaves me dubious.

We have another thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/16219
where there seems to be consensus towards a solution that:
1) Uses SF (and possibly Apache) for the web-based downloads
2) Does not phase out MirrorBrain, and uses it for the updates (i.e.,
downloads initiated by OpenOffice with the "Look for updates" function)

The "possibly Apache" in 1) is due to the fact that I haven't understood
yet what technology Apache will be using and if Apache will distribute
only sources or binaries too (it's obvious that we as a project will
release sources and binaries, but I'm not 100% sure that Apache wants to
put binaries on its mirrors too: I think so).

Fact is, we should avoid the random selection as much as possible,
mainly to be able to quickly identify problems, and you will see details
in that thread. The cleaner separation we can get, the better.

On the other side, release time is approaching and I can only hope that
talks between Peter Poeml (MirrorBrain author) and Apache Infra, that
had started on this list, are progressing now.

Regards,
   Andrea.