incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:12:04 GMT
Am 04/27/2012 08:49 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> On 4/27/12 5:32 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> 2012/4/27 Jürgen Schmidt<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> to be prepared for the upcoming release I plan to use the following
>>> directory structure on
>>>
>>> https://www.apache.org/dist/**incubator/ooo<https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo>
>>>

>>> Existing
>>> 3.3
>>> 3.3/patches
>>> 3.3/patches/cve-2012-0037/...
>>> DATE
>>> KEYS
>>>
>>> New added:
>>> 3.4.0/source
>>> 3.4.0/windows/...
>>> 3.4.0/windows/languagepacks/..**.
>>> 3.4.0/macos/...
>>> 3.4.0/macos/languagepacks/...
>>> 3.4.0/linux-x86/...
>>> 3.4.0/linux-x86/languagepacks/**...
>>> 3.4.0/linux-x86-64/...
>>> 3.4.0/linux-x86-64/**languagepacks/...
>>>

>>> 16 languages: en-US ar cs de en-GB es fr gl hu it ja nl ru pr-BR zh-CN
>>> zh-TW
>>>
>>> Do we need to prepare or adapt the download page?
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>>

>> Juergen--
>>
>> This will considerably change the current logic being used. Is there some
>> reason you don't want to use the existing setup of:
>>
>> root DL area/files/stable/3.4/...
>> root DL area/files/localized/3.4/...
>>
>> see:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/
>
> I had a look to other projects in the dist folder on Apache and looked
> what we already have.
>
>  From my point of view the old structure doesn't really make too much
> sense.
>
> Why should we for example put the localized bit in separate directories
> when we have the language Id as part of the name?
>
> And we have only stable releases in the future. Ok we will have archives
> of older versions but that's it.
>
> Do we have the time to adapt it to the new structure. We should do it ow
> if possible.
>
> What do others think?

It won't work because the DL logic is working the old way, and only this
way. ;-)

The old structure has everything in a single directory. The only
separation is for en-US only (stable) and all other languages (localized).

When we change the structure now where the builds are physicaly
existing, then we have to adapt the complete logic, too, which is an
effort that I cannot predict.

So, the best solution is to keep the old separation and think about to
change this with a new release.

Then I would prefer to have every install file for a specific version in
a single directory. This makes it the easiest way to assemble download
links:

Example:

<root-path>/files/3.4.0/...
<root-path>/files/3.4.1/...