incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Distributing AOO 3.4: The 22 things we need to do before we announce
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:53:53 GMT
Am 04/27/2012 06:29 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Distribution+Tasks

>>> Hi Rob --
>>>
>>> I just took a very quick look and added some verbiage to item #4. We need
>>> some test time after these changes are in place--maybe even a  day.
>>>

>> OK.
>>

>>> On item #3--
>>>
>>>   "Make a copy of the the older MirrorBrain-enabled download/index.html
>> and
>>> download/other.html pages.  Put them in a download/330 directory.  Add a
>>> disclaimer notice that these are not Apache releases, but legacy releases
>>> under a different license."
>>>
>>> I don't see the need for a download/330/index.html.
>>>
>>> I think what you're getting at is a standalone page complete with the DL
>>> button generation for 3.3 which I feel is  something we don't need for
>> this
>>> earlier version. I would think just putting out a
>> download/330/other.html.
>>> So
>>> It would probably be a good idea for this old "other" to at least provide
>>> links for release notes for it though.
>>>
>>> and linking people to that would be sufficient.
>>>

>> I can see arguments either way.  On the one hand, the OOo 3.3
>> downloads is merely for archival use.  On the other hand, AOO 3.4 does
>> not cover all languages supported by OOo 3.3, so we need some easy way
>> for users to continue to get access. If you think  a copy of the 3.3.0
>> version of other.html is sufficient, then let's go with that.
>>

> sure--we can just make "other.html" into "index.html" for this new area.

If we have no real "index.html", then we need no DL logic especially for
OOo 3.3.0 as we can create hard-coded links in the download table, then
we need no .js files, then we need no separate 3.3.0/ directory, so ... ;-)

However, I would also prefer to keep the original "index.html". It
simply makes it easier for the user to download their (hopefully)
favorite build.

Marcus