incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] more DL questions...language versions
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:53:06 GMT

On 04/26/2012 04:02 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

We don't have the number of NL packagings as we did before, and we will

>>> If the js can know the referring page and that can be from one
>>> of supported NL pages like www.openoffice.org/de/ it would be
>>> good to use that as well. That way someone from an English
>>> browser who goes to www.openoffice.org/es/ and presses the
>>> download topnav button they can start at their expected DL.
>>
>> This setting was done to let the NL team the freedom to decide
>> where to point the user for a download: the generic download
>> webpage or a NL specific webpage.
>>
>> As there seems to be a growing consensus to use one only central
>> download webpage and logic, I think it's better to no longer follow
>> this choice.
>
> Then everyone get's the choice according to their browser, or, they
> get English and they have to go to "other" if they don't like it.
> I'll wait and see how Kay does the new page when she is ready.
>
> Regards, Dave

OK, first, the current code is pretty complicated. It needs to
simplified to work better but I'm certainly not going to deal with that
now. And, I really had nothing to do with writing it originally. I've
only, at odd times, had to investigate it when various issues have come up.

Things START at the user's language level. What's configured now in ALL
cases is that *for the languages* that are still left in the languages
configuration area, not many, they will all be routed to our bona fide
mirrors. The only things that are left in the script are links to
bona fide mirrors -- with the mirror flag being set to 'Y' on all of
them. You'll see a bunch of other "possible" DL links in the new
languages array but they are not used unless we toggle the mirror flag
to "N", which we will not do. Many of the language areas along with NL
sites are now commented out for the 3.4 release.

As to what is actually ON the NL sites now in terms of DL information is
anyone's guess. Bottom line, I don't think it's likely they would even
get to this new DL site from the old NL sites. In any case, they will
get odd results I think.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but, this stuff is very complicated
and really we need some testing to see what might happen. Even if the DL
link does not work right now, I would be very interested in knowing what
happens with some of the NL folks.

>> OK, good night for today.
>>
>> Marcus

MzK