incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:40:26 GMT
Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
/download/index.html page at:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html

Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
you to see, but will of course go away in production.

Basically, choosing the DL site -- Apache or SourceForge (as I believe
we agree on for 3.3) is based on selection option #1, so I wanted you to
see the results of that. If do a bunch of reloads --<shift> + browser
reload button -- you may eventually see changes to the outcome.
Right now this is setup with 75% to Apache, 25% to SourceForge.

OK, way down below, you will see the normal generated big green DL
button. Of course the link will not work (but oddly Apache is very nice
and gives us a page to select from at the outset anyway), but you'll
observe the link for the chosen DL site.

Other things to note:
* the DL links assume the current location of
"/files/stable/VERSION/..." from the top of DL URL area. IF this is not
the case for Apache, please let me know

* Joe Schaefer said via e-mail that we couldn't use the normal closer.cgi

http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html#use

  for this and I needed to consult with infra on this which I have NOT
done yet, so things may change a bit. I hope not drastically

* if we DO use closer.cgi as per usual for Apache mirrors, I am fairly
certain the target="_blank" to open up the actual DL will not work as
what we are doing is running a script, and not really opening up a page
directly

* didn't even try the redirect to "contribute.html" do to above
consideration with closer.cgi

* I will be modifying the option area to allow folks to get to the
current other.html for 3.3 (all from MirroBrain as recently agreed on)
and maybe a link on that to OOo older archives.

* I did quite an edit job on the old languages.js.
See revision at:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/languages_new_dl.js

OK, I guess that's enough for now I guess.

My time will be limited on doing much more on this until Sunday. But
PLEASE join in to help with this effort if you can! I'm sure we've got
some JS wonks out there!

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette