incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE} a few DL questions...
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:33:17 GMT

On 04/26/2012 10:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Kay Schenk<>  wrote:
>> I've been working on a prototype of the DL button in the /download/test area
>> given our discussions about split mirror setup for 3.4 etc. I have a  few
>> more edits to do  before sending out a notification about final review
>> (later today).
>> But...I have a few questions for this release.
>> * The DL scripts have a good amount of logic surrounding the naming/download
>> of 3.2 and 3.1 releases-- the "old" naming schema. Since we won't be
>> providing "friendly" DL buttons for these anymore, is it safe to pull this
>> stuff out?
>> * DL locations for Mac PPC and FreeBSD are as follows (excuse wrapping):
>> var MIRROR_MAC_PPC_URL      =
>> "";
>> var MIRROR_FREEBSD32_URL    =
>> "";
>> var MIRROR_FREEBSD64_URL    =
>> "";
>> Will this still be the case or will all versions be served from either
>> Apache or SourceForge? The DL logic needs to be changed if this alternate
>> URL is not used.
> I think the main download link should only provide links to official
> AOO releases.   We could have another section (maybe in other.html)
> where we can point to third party binaries and ports.

Well, OK...I think right now (unless I'm mistaken), the DL
identification script constructs MacPPC and FreeBSD folks to the mirrors
above. I'll check again on this. And see exactly what we're providing.

  But we should
> have a disclaimer making it clear that these packages are not official
> releases.

> I also agree that we should not inter-mix 3.3 and 3.4 downloads.

No, we won't/can't...the DL "magic" uses the VERSION number we supply to
do the DL box. So anything *other* than what's supplied in that variable
  will need to be handled differently. I was thinking we would still use
-- other.html -- for "other" versions of 3.4, and a link to another
version of "other" to get folks to 3.3 and below. And yes, we MUST put
in a disclaimer about these.

> Another thing to consider is how we actually invoke the download.
> Right now we simply link to the SF site.  So after the download is
> done the user is left sitting at SF.  This is not ideal.    I wonder
> whether it would be better to load the SF page in a new page, via
> target="_blank" and then refresh our download.html to contribute.html
> so after the download is done, and the user closes the SF page, they
> are back in the openoffice website with a "thanks for downloading"
> messsage and followup info to engage the user in the community.

OK -- I'll work on this today as well.

> -Rob
>> Thanks for your time.
>> --
>> MzK
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>   And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>   Helping you out."
>>                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette