incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] two questions about DL button on home page...
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:05:08 GMT

On 04/25/2012 10:03 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> the

>>> but

has
This
>>> is

>>> feature.

>>> what

>>> What are the arguments for and against?
>>>

>> For:
>> I think the argument FOR the inclusion of the expanding DL button on the
>> home page was the idea of having the DL available "right there" for them.
>> Still, unlike other sites which would automatically display the appropriate
>> DL immediately, the user must click on the DL area of the page to "get" the
>> green DL button, so I question the former reasoning.
>>

>  From the homepage, it is the same number of mouse clicks to download
> either way, right?    We don't save any clicks by dynamically
> expanding the DL button on the home page.

yes...this is correct -- same number of clicks...

>> On the "against" side.
>> * We bring in a bunch of additional JS to the home page which we wouldn't
>> need if the "I want to download..." simply went to download/index.html.
>> * None of the other links on the home page work like this -- they all take
>> you someplace else
>> * In theory, editing changes to make download/index.html work should should
>> port to the DL button on the home page, but for some reason, I, personally
>> have had issues with this in the past, I don't remember why
>> * You can not, based on how the button is currently constructed on the home
>> page, just  pop-in something to make this happen -- some of the JS needed
>> must live on the home page to make things work. Well maybe you can and I
>> just don't know how to do this.
>> * Changes made to the current DL logic (and really this whole process in
>> terms of coding REALLY needs further evaluation)  like function names and
>> arguments to them, etc. need to be ported to two areas rather than one.
>>

> IMHO, if we have a a dedicated download page we can improve it over
> time.  Having more screen real-estate would allow us to make install
> instructions more prominent and give other helpful information.
> Eventually the thing on the home page will be comparatively less
> helpful.

I agree -- just making the few changes we did recently was, while not
difficult, took some futzing on the home page DL button to make things
LOOK a bit nicer. And, I don't like making unnecessary changes ON the
home page. :/

>> My .02
>>
>> At this stage of this project's existence, I think we need to concentrate
>> on minimizing complexity.
>>

> My life lesson:  Only start a garden as large as you are able care for.

EXACTLY! We definitely need to consider the number, time and skills of
the gardeners in this case! ;]

so? conclusion?

> -Rob
>

>>> Aside from a good user experience, my interest is in having clean,
>>> unifiied download logic, to support an overall download policy,
>>> including how we mirror, how we track statistics, how we route and how
>>> we recommend downloads based on request headers.
>>>
>>> -Rob

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>   And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>   Helping you out."
>>                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

  Helping you out."