incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: RC candidate testing - status
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:24:55 GMT
On 4/25/12 12:19 AM, drew jensen wrote:
> [...]
> connector, on Linux via UnixODBC.
>
> Exported MS Access Data into new Base file connected via JDBC to SQLite
> 3, did again using ODBC.
>
> Connected to MS Access (accdb format) copy of Baseball stats,
> read/write, under Windows only.
>
> Exported accdb data to new Base file connected to SQLite 3, JDBC and
> ODBC.
>
> For each platform created a new Base file using the built in table
> templates (customers, employees, orders, orderdetails) via the wizard
> for the following backends:
> dbase, hsqldb embedded, hsqldb 2.2.8 file based, SQlite 3
> [FK relation created where supported]
> - created simple set of forms via wizard
> - edited one form adding secondary sub-form
> - created simple report (no Report Builder installed) via wizard
> - created simple report via Report Builder wizard
>
> Then opened a set of 6 ODB files, all embedded HSQL on each platform,
> each file utilizes a different set of functions. All utilize basic
> scripting for added functionaity - one for mail merging, one heavy on
> Builder Reports, another heavy on dataform manipulation, etc.
>
> === NOT FINISHED YET ====
> For Todays test
> I'll do imports, new table adds, quick forum and reports for PostgreSQL
> 9.1 via JDBC and MySQL 5.5 with the connector extension.
> Connect to Thunderbird on all platforms for an Address book connection
> and then some mail merge runs.
>
> === problems so far ===
> Usual and expected data format issues on export/import but no crashes or
> hangs during imports.
>
> Table wizard is not handling all FK creation properly, but no crashes
> anywhere.
>
> So far all the Report Designer reports seem to be functioning - but have
> not really pushed it as far as covering designer features.
>
> The dataforms open in print view mode, not web view mode - there is a
> workaround. [open any writer window, switch to web view, close the
> window (no need to save) and all Base forms open properly now for the
> duration of the office session]
>
> The embedded HSQLdb file access got slower as did it seems all JDBC
> based connections, but the embedded is as usual the worse.
>
> Did find one way to reliably crash the entire office:
> The basic SHELL command will crash when:
> 1- executed from a basic library embedded in an ODB file
> 2- requires a badly formed command string
> The same script coding error will generate an error dialog when executed
> from a stand alone basic library.
>
> Have not been able to execute a LoadLibrary for the embedded ODB
> BasicLibraries object. I think this is a regression, certainly not a
> showstopper.
>
> The bookmark extension is not working at all under linux. (the same
> version of the extension does still work with the current LibO, so think
> maybe it was AOO that changed something)
>
> =====
>
> Anyway, I'll probably use all of the alloted time to keep going but:

thanks for this good overview of how and what you have tested, I feel
more comfortable now.

Seeing all the good feedback, the reports the detailed QA report from
Lily are all very useful to get a good impression about the quality and
the stability.
We all know that we always find minor issues and that will probably
never change but the question is always how important are they for the
majority of our users.
We will improve our collaborative work over time and we will improve the
quality by working professional. We bring open source office
productivity on a new level of professionalism and make it ready for
usage everywhere.

Juergen