incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] two questions about DL button on home page...
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:09:36 GMT

On 04/24/2012 01:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 04/24/2012 07:54 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> Hi all--
>>
>> Right now, when I click on "I want to download OpenOffice", I don't the
>> expanded green button I was getting last week, for example. I had made
>> some
>> changes to this a week or so ago, but the changes that I incorporated,
>> and
>> the green button itself were just fine after that. I think my current
>> experience may be due to a problem with getting the mirror link but I
>> need
>> to confirm this in a bit.
>>
>> So, question #1.
>> I would like someone else to try this and let the list know what your
>> results are -- are you getting the expanded green button or being
>> shuttled
>> to /download/index.html instead?
>>
>> Question #2. If you're not getting the DL button, or even if you are, how
>> strongly do you feel about having the expanding button, or would just a
>> jump to /download/index.html be just as good?
>>
>> I know there was a LOT of discussion when this design first emerged, but,
>> it would much much easier for changes in DL code -- Rob's proposal for
>> unification of yesterday for instance -- if we could just dump this
>> "internal" DL button on the home page. Yes, the buttons are the same
>> to the
>> eye anyway on both the main index.html page and /download/index.html but
>> the html implementation is different, different enough that both these
>> areas need to be changed when changes are needed. Additionally,
>> dumping the
>> "generated" button on the home page would allow us to standardize more
>> easily on incorporating the DL button -- the code used on
>> /download/index.html -- on other pages like the NL pages.
>>
>> Thanks for looking at this and responding.
>
> It seems Rob's last commit (r1329501 - "Remove unneeded GA code") has
> removed accidently also the toggle mode for the download button. This is
> done via JavaScript, too.
>
> I've repaired it as the expanded donwload button is IMHO a nice feature.
>
> Marcus

Marcus--Thanks for this...but...it would be really really helpful if we
could just do away with this approach.

I'm going to work on the underpinnings in /download today, and not the
home page, so I'll wait to hear from a few others.

So far, it looks like we've got 2 to "remove/OK with removing it" (me,
Dave), and 1 not to remove (you).

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette