incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Marxen <guenter.mar...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:45:55 GMT
Thanks, Regina and Andrea,

Am 24.04.2012 21:30, schrieb Regina Henschel:
> Hi Andrea,
> Andrea Pescetti schrieb:
>> Guenter Marxen wrote:
>>> OOo installing with param "-a" or "/a" was a means to use a new version
>> mind that if you are going to share your profile among different
>> versions (which will happen in this case)
>
> I have assumed, that Günter knows to avoid this. The usual way is to
> edit the bootstrap.ini file or to call soffice.exe with a parameter ...

yes, formerly I did it by editing the path in bootstrap.ini. (Thanks
Regina, that you confirmed that. In the moment I had no nerves to test
it for myself.)

My first mail was an answer to Juergen Schmidt's question ("What do you
think people will expect...") and I would strongly propose, to
re-implement the possibility to install parallel versions (f.e. with
user defined installation and profiles named by "version n.m"). I will
make an enhancement issue for AOO 4.

Nevertheless there couldt also be an info in the README and perhaps on
the download page.

> I've seen QA reports about
>> instability and, for people who uninstalled 3.4 and went back to 3.3,
>> broken extensions management: OpenOffice 3.4 has a different extensions
>> management and, while it will do its best to migrate installed

Thank you, I follow this mailing list and read it too. And that was
besides my own experiences with OOo 1, 2 and 3 another significant
reason not to do any trials with OOo 3.4 until now.

As said, nobody working seriously can afford to loose (parts of) his
work by using a new version because of new bugs. But some of them are
willing to test new versions with copies of the text. And this wouldt
benefit AOO.

--
Regards

Günter