incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Marxen <guenter.mar...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:33:26 GMT
Hi,

I'm a longtime user of StarOffice and OpenOffice and participated many
years in dev@de.openoffice.org and in testing OOo and will continue this
with AOO.

Am 23.04.2012 16:09, schrieb Juergen Schmidt:

>> The download page should at least mention that this installation set
>> will replace a former installation of OpenOffice.org 3.
>>

> What do you think people will expect when they download the software from downloads.openoffice.org?
When you know the answer you will have probably the answer to your suggestion ;-)

> Juergen

As I somtimes write books (f.e. manuals for OOo) with hundreds of pages,
images (screenshots etc.) and links, as a user I expect, that I can
retain the old version and test the new one until I'm shure, that I can
safely continue my work with the new version. (You know: "what's new in
the new version? New bugs!")

When the "feature" to replace the old version in any case was introduced
(IIRC with OOo 2) I had a long discussion in dev@de.openoffice.org, but
the bad decision (IMO) was not corrected.

Nobody who is working on large documents can risk to change his writing
tool. They will not replace f.e. OOo 3.3 with OOo 3.4 and so much
intensive testing will not take place.

OOo installing with param "-a" or "/a" was a means to use a new version
(without system integration on Windows) parallel to the old.

I hope that this is also possible with OOo 3.4 and later with AOO 4. Can
anybody confirm this?

--
Regards

G√ľnter Marxen