incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Unifying download logic, especially from NL pages?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:44:35 GMT
Am 04/23/2012 12:24 AM, schrieb Juergen Schmidt:
> On Monday, 23. April 2012 at 05:49, drew wrote:
>> On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 17:22 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> The vast majority of our downloads come from one of three pages:
>>>
>>> 1) www.openoffice.org/
>>> 2) download.openoffice.org/

>>> http://www.openoffice.org/no/
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/es/
>>>
>>> (There may be others as well, but I noticed those three)
>>>
>>> Other ML pages do other things. For example, the German page just
>>> points to download.openoffice.org, where the user is given the English
>>> install instructions:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>>>
>>> The French page manages its own download page that directs to
>>> download.services.openoffice.org, which uses MirrorBrain:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>>>
>>> To put it kindly, the logic here is sub-optimally factored.
>>>
>>> Is there anything we can do to improve on this?
>>>
>>> For example, imagine if we had either a Javascript function or REST
>>> API that allowed things like this:
>>>
>>> download(product,language, platform, version)
>>>
>>> Like:
>>>
>>> download("aoo","en_us","win32","3.4.0")
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> download("sdk","","","latest") (We could allow "latest" as a
>>> psedu-version number so most NL pages can code their download logic
>>> once and not need to update it when a new release comes out. We
>>> centralize the logic of what is the "latest" version for a particular
>>> language in one place)
>>>
>>> As a REST API the same could look like this:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download?product=aoo&locale=en_us&platform=win32&version=-3.4.0
>>>
>>> Does this make sense to anyone? It all about avoiding have the
>>> website make too many assumptions about release file names, mirror
>>> infrastructure and other implementation details of the download
>>> delivery process. Instead we should have a centralized place where
>>> that logic lives, so it can be maintained in one place, debugged in
>>> one place, and when we have a new release, updated in one place.
>>>

>> Hi Rob
>>
>> Yes - it's not hard links to the mirrorbrain, other sub-domains I looked
>> at over the last few days use external repositories, one having not been
>> updated with releases from 3.2.1.
>>
>> If I may ask a question to the group in general:
>>
>> This page:
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages
>>
>> The list of email addresses, has anyone sent an email directly to each
>> entry asking them specifically if they have any interest in the page, or
>> any comment about what to do with it... maybe it is a waste of time, but
>> if not and no one objects I'd waste the time to do so.
>>

> please do so I would not expect that anybody has reached out them until now
>>
>> Otherwise, many of those sub-domains IMO need to be replaced with a
>> generic page pointing to a general how to get involved page. We need to
>> decide how to handle references to legacy releases also, particularly
>> those external links, do we keep a reference somewhere (the wiki maybe)
>> and for how long?
>>

> I think I have mentioned this several times. I would prefer if we would have only general
pages that get translated but all with consistent content.
> And every lang project can maintain either a subpage or from my pov better a wiki page
> Less pages with a cleaner structure, better and consistent content, translated and easier
to maintain.

In the past every NL team has done their own thing. Of course this means
maximum of freedom what and how to do it. But on the other hand it's a
hugh effort to keep it up-to-date.

So, a clear +1 to keep this more general.

Marcus