incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unifying download logic, especially from NL pages?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:46:37 GMT

>>> http://www.openoffice.org/no/
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/es/
>>>
>>> (There may be others as well, but I noticed those three)
>>>
>>> Other ML pages do other things.  For example, the German page just
>>> points to download.openoffice.org, where the user is given the English
>>> install instructions:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>>>
>>> The French page manages its own download page that directs to
>>> download.services.openoffice.org, which uses MirrorBrain:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>>>
>>> To put it kindly, the logic here is sub-optimally factored.
>>>
>>> Is there anything we can do to improve on this?
>>>
>>> For example, imagine if we had either a Javascript function or REST
>>> API that allowed things like this:
>>>
>>> download(product,language, platform, version)
>>>
>>> Like:
>>>
>>> download("aoo","en_us","win32","3.4.0")
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> download("sdk","","","latest")   (We could allow "latest" as a
>>> psedu-version number so most NL pages can code their download logic
>>> once and not need to update it when a new release comes out.  We
>>> centralize the logic of what is the "latest" version for a particular
>>> language in one place)
>>>
>>> As a REST API the same could look like this:
>>>

>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download?product=aoo&locale=en_us&platform=win32&version=-3.4.0
>>>
>>> Does this make sense to anyone?
>>

>> maybe...is your concern about "policy" -- what pages can link to what
>> download area, or
>> implementation --- how is the appropriate download determined
>>
>> Could you elaborate a bit more?
>>

> For example, when we release AOO 3.4, we'll obviously update the logic
> on the first three pages (www.openoffice.org, download.openoffice.org
> and /other.html).  But any other NL pages that are hard-coded to point
> to 3.3.0 downloads on MirrorBrain will not.

OK, thanks for this clarification. I was a bit concerned about DL logic
changes this close to an actual release. Plus, I am always concerned
about ongoing maintenance (who has skills etc).

So, I now understand a bit better over your desire for this new
function/mechanism. We have something very close to this now in the
"getLink (VERSION, MIRROR, SCHEMA)" function already in download.js

...but...how to enforce a standard usage....??? I don't have any good
ideas on this

> So not really a policy question, but a concern about how we partition
> the logic in our website.  The NL pages should not need to know about
> our release implementation details.  They should not be hardcoding
> things like:
>
> 1) Names of release artifacts.
>
> 2) Assumptions about the most recent version of the product.
>
> 3) Assumptions about download locations.

yes, you're right...some better practices are in order, and down the
road, maybe some different implementation techniques as well.

I think for now, maybe just a general post directed to our existing NL
site maintainers about what would be "best practice" given what we've
got would be in order, and for those areas which have NO maintainer at
the moment...well, one of the general site maintainers gets to fix them
I guess. Not pretty, I know.

>>   It all about avoiding have the
>>>
>>> website make too many assumptions about release file names, mirror
>>> infrastructure and other implementation details of the download
>>> delivery process.
>>

>> So who or what would make those assumptions instead?
>>

> The Release Manager and the rest of the PMC determines these things
> when we release.

OK, I didn't mean in a general sense, I meant technically -- a
misunderstanding. I guess this was an awareness, or rather non-awareness
on my part, that some sites were taking liberties with labeling, etc.

>>   Instead we should have a centralized place where
>>>
>>> that logic lives, so it can be maintained in one place, debugged in
>>> one place, and when we have a new release, updated in one place.
>>>
>>> -Rob

yes, I see what you mean now...some localized SSI might be in order. I
teluctant to suggest this, given the former nature of the NL sites, but
perhaps some standardized templating should be applied to them.