incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unifying download logic, especially from NL pages?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:15:56 GMT

On 04/22/2012 02:22 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> The vast majority of our downloads come from one of three pages:

I offer a bit of historical perspective on these for what it's worth:

> 1) www.openoffice.org/
-- the latest friendly action oriented page that grew out from the
revised...(I can get everything I want from the home page.)

> 2) download.openoffice.org/
-- penultimate download page from a Download link. Incorporates same
logic as DL button on home page. (One page click to DL)

> 3) www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
-- basically the original, original, download page which also
incorproated information that couldn't be fit elsewhere. The user
explicitly chooses the download without js logic assistance

> These three pages currently forward download requests to SourceForge.
>
> There are other places on the website that do other things.  For
> example,  the Dutch and Norwegian pages point directly to MirrorBrain
> downloads:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/da/
> http://www.openoffice.org/no/
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/
>
> (There may be others as well, but I noticed those three)
>
> Other ML pages do other things.  For example, the German page just
> points to download.openoffice.org, where the user is given the English
> install instructions:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>
> The French page manages its own download page that directs to
> download.services.openoffice.org, which uses MirrorBrain:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>
> To put it kindly, the logic here is sub-optimally factored.
>
> Is there anything we can do to improve on this?
>
> For example, imagine if we had either a Javascript function or REST
> API that allowed things like this:
>
> download(product,language, platform, version)
>
> Like:
>
> download("aoo","en_us","win32","3.4.0")
>
> or
>
> download("sdk","","","latest")   (We could allow "latest" as a
> psedu-version number so most NL pages can code their download logic
> once and not need to update it when a new release comes out.  We
> centralize the logic of what is the "latest" version for a particular
> language in one place)
>
> As a REST API the same could look like this:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download?product=aoo&locale=en_us&platform=win32&version=-3.4.0
>
> Does this make sense to anyone?

maybe...is your concern about "policy" -- what pages can link to what
download area, or
implementation --- how is the appropriate download determined

Could you elaborate a bit more?

  It all about avoiding have the
> website make too many assumptions about release file names, mirror
> infrastructure and other implementation details of the download
> delivery process.

So who or what would make those assumptions instead?

  Instead we should have a centralized place where
> that logic lives, so it can be maintained in one place, debugged in
> one place, and when we have a new release, updated in one place.
>
> -Rob

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
                                     -- Robert Heinlein