incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2012 15:46:46 GMT

On 04/22/2012 08:05 AM, RGB ES wrote:
> El d�a 22 de abril de 2012 16:51, Rob Weir<>  escribi�:
>> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Kay Schenk<>  wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> OK, I have a question on this one. MUST we download and build or can we vote
>>> on an already built (binary) version? There was some discussion about this,
>>> and, yes, there are notes about this on general information for Apache
>>> releases, but...I jsut noticed the vote from Hagar Delest which implies he
>>> used a binary so this is why I ask.
>> You are not required to build the AOO RC in order to vote. � Remember,
>> participating in the review and approval of releases is one of the
>> most basic responsibilities of *all* PMC members. � We have selected
>> PMC members with a wide range of relevant skills, not all of them are
>> coders. �So not everyone is expected to build. �But I would expect
>> that everyone who votes will find something that they can do to help
>> verify the RC. � For example, installing, verifying a translation,
>> reviewing the LICENSE and NOTICE file, reviewing the RAT scan output,
>> etc.
>> Remember, unlike a much smaller project at Apache, we cannot assume
>> that there is even a single person who understands all aspects of the
>> product. �Not even one. �Those who can build on Windows might not be
>> the same ones who can verify the Gallacian translation, and those who
>> understand the details of the LICENSE requirements might not have
>> access to a 64-bit Linux machine to test that install. �So we need to
>> rely on others.
>> So, a +1 to me means three things:
>> 1) I have verified what I can verify and it looks acceptable for a release.
>> 2) No one else has reported a credible, substantial issue with the RC.
>> 3) I believe that there has been sufficient overall review of the RC.
>> So obviously my vote can change based on what others find and report
>> about the RC. �In particular I plan to test a few install scenarios
>> and if they work out, I'll vote +1 later today. �But if someone later
>> finds a serious issue, then I could change my vote.
>> -Rob
> Thanks Rob for the clarification (I had the same doubt expressed by
> Kay Schenk). I installed and used the build on my openSUSE 11.4, 64
> bits box without problems so this is a huge
> +1
> from me (PPMC member: rgb-es @ apache)
> Regards
> Ricardo

Yes, Rob, thanks for this clarification. I am relatively confident I
could, in fact, build AOO 3.4 having done such things many times in the
past, but it would definitely take time away from other things I need to
be doing to get ready for our release.

"Women and cats will do as they please,
                                     -- Robert Heinlein

View raw message