incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:21:55 GMT

> What does release-candidate voting at the Apache OpenOffice podling
> mean?
>
> Is it is just an assessment of support/sentiment, or is there more
> involved?
>
> The ballot has this phrasing:
>
> "But we invite all people to vote (non-binding) on this RC. We would
> like to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our
> project members.
>
> +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) 0 Don't
> care -1 Do not release this package because..."
>
> I suggest that there are binding PPMC votes on this ballot.  They are
> binding with respect to whether or not the release candidate will be
> submitted to the Incubator PMC for its consideration.
>
> While non-PPMC/-committer participants can of course vote their
> sentiment, there is something more valuable to be achieved in this
> process.
>
> Committers and PPMC members are expected to cast informed ballots.
> If any contributor casts a "-1", it should be accompanied by a clear,
> specific explanation and suggestion of actions that would cure the
> situation.
>
> Here is something that all project contributors can participate in,
> with or without voting:
>
> PARTICIPATE IN QUALITY-ASSURANCE COVERAGE OF THE CANDIDATE
>
> It is valuable to download the source code and confirm that binaries
> can be built.

OK, I have a question on this one. MUST we download and build or can we
vote on an already built (binary) version? There was some discussion
about this, and, yes, there are notes about this on general information
for Apache releases, but...I jsut noticed the vote from Hagar Delest
which implies he used a binary so this is why I ask.

Meanwhile, I will download the source and try my hand...just in case. I
DO want to vote, and vote correctly.

I have had NO issues with the binary I now have.

> [...]
> concerning dependencies, notices, and honoring of licenses.
>
> It might be that a serious quality issue, a release-blocker, is
> identified by the IPMC or the project itself before release approval
> happens.  In that case, on agreement over the facts and severity, the
> project can withdraw the release candidate and come back another
> day.
>
> But, in general, the quality of the product as useful software is not
> part of the IPMC determination.  IT IS ASSUMED THAT THE
> PROJECT/PODLING HAS DONE WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to be satisfied with
> regard to the quality of the product itself and what users,
> especially of the binaries, can rely upon.
>
> WHAT CAN SUPPORTERS AND COMMITTERS TO DO TO MAKE A GOOD RELEASE?
>
> First, committers and anyone else can conduct the same level of
> assessment that the IPMC will to verify that release conditions are
> satisfied.
>
> Even more valuable is to participate in a coherent Quality Assurance
> inspections that provide coverage of features that are important to
> you.  This is particularly important in detecting possible
> regressions with regard to functionality that is currently being
> depended on.  It is also valuable to ensure that a defect that was
> previously a problem has been cured or not.  This is where many
> individuals may contribute.
>
> QA reports can be affirmative about areas that are working.  "I
> installed it and it didn't crash" is useful confirmation, but going
> beyond that is even more valuable.  Anything of concern can be
> reported and bugs should be reported where there is some very
> specific detail that is an issue.
>
> Defects that you report are not necessarily release blockers.  But if
> something that appears to be a show-stopper arises, the sooner that
> can be reported, reproduced, and assessed the better.
>

> -----Original Message----- From: J├╝rgen Schmidt
> [mailto:jogischmidt@googlemail.com] Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012
> 17:58 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org;
> ooo-private@incubator.apache.org Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
>
> Hi all,
>
> this is a call for vote on releasing the following candidate as
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating). This will be the first incubator
> release for Apache OpenOffice and a key milestone to continue the
> success of OpenOffice.org.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> For a detailed feature overview please see the release notes under
> https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-34-release-notes.html.
>
> The release candidate artifacts (source release, as well as binary
> releases for 16 languages) and further information how to verify and
> review Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) can be found on the
> following wiki page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+%28incubating%29+Release+Candidate
>

> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
                                     -- Robert Heinlein