incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mirrors, release publishing...again
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:37:02 GMT

On 04/19/2012 02:19 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all--
>>
>> Please see:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
>>
>> esp the paragraph on "Distribution" sentence...
>>
>> =======================
>> Distribution
>>
>> The Apache infrastructure must be the primary source for all artifacts
>> officially released by the ASF.
>>
>> The Apache Infrastructure team maintains the Apache release distribution
>> infrastructure. This infrastructure has two parts: the mirrored directories
>> on www.apache.org and the Maven repository on repository.apache.org.
>> =====================
>>
>> To me, this means we will use Apache infra and mirrors for the distribution
>> of release 3.4, when that happens.
>>

> But in our case Apache Infra has agreed that we could/should accept
> help from SourceForge due to the size and volume involved in this
> release.
>
> I think this statement from Joe is the most recent and authoritative
> statement from Infra on this specific topic:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/quwkdctro7dpzyly
>
> -Rob

Rob--Thanks for pointing this out and pinning this down. Despite the
fact that I read through this thread, I obviously missed this --and it
was just a few days ago! ack! (I will now file this in a safe place.)

OK, but it is not clear to me at all how to incorporate more than one
mirror system (automatically), and like others I don't think it can be
done really. So Joe's statement--

"Infra's position is currently that, for the upcoming release ONLY,
continuing to use the legacy mirrorbrain system in conjunction with ASF
mirrors and SF downloads is A-OK"

is a big ??? for me. How would "in conjunction" work? Maybe Joe or one
of the other infra staff have some ideas about this.

Change the current DL script to present the user with a choice of
download options? ASF or MirrorBrain/SourceForge? We could do this I think.

Also, it would be difficult to keep actual DL statistics if we split
things up.

Thoughts?