incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Jopp <j...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Has the AOO 3.4 RC been released?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:38:31 GMT

Am 18.04.2012 19:17, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>> Michael, I am curious what has you be interested in the availability of
>> an AOO 3.4 Release Candidate.
>>>
>>>  1. What does it say to you when a project build set is designated a
>> "Release Candidate"?
>>>
>>>  2. What use would you make of such a designated build different from a
>> developer snapshot and an actual release (i.e., AOO 3.4[.0])?
>>>

>> I wonder if there might be some language misunderstanding when we say
>> casually, "We'll soon be voting on a Release Candidate"?
>>
>> To some this could mean we will have a vote to label a particular
>> build as a "Release Candidate".  That interpretation would explain
>> some of the post we've been seeing.  But that is not how it really
>> works.
>>
>> What actually happens is two things:
>>
>> 1) The Release Manager (Juergen) declares that a particular build is
>> the Release Candidate.
>>
>> 2) The PMC then votes on whether or not to release the Release Candidate.
>>

>> When we say "vote on a Release Candidate", some readers might think
>> that we're voting to make the Release Candidate.  But we're really
>> voting to release the Release Candidate.  Like when I vote for
>> candidate for US President, I'm not voting to make him a candidate.
>> I'm voting to make him President.
>>

> A further point of clarification. Does "Release Candidate" in the ASF have
> the same meaning as the traditional meaning. See, for example:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate
>
> Given this definition, a Release Candidate means the "final" test before
> the actual "release".
>
> So, to me, and perhaps others, a "release candidate" is NOT the same as a
> release. And, to me, a "release candidate" as opposed to a "release"
> implies some predetermined time announced to the public at large, for FINAL
> testing -- seems like 2 weeks is typical.
>
> I am not sure at this point if this historical definition applies in the
> ASF.
>
> I think it would be valuable to head up a new thread on this -- "What it
> means to vote on a release candidate at the ASF" -- or something similar so
> folks have a better understanding of "release candidates"/"release" at the
> ASF.

I might be totally wrong, but I think the main difference is that this
project as long as it is a podling does not release anything.

The one who releases is the Incubator project and the podling (PPMC)
presents (after voting) the Incubator project a "candidate to be
released". Then the Incubator project votes whether it should be
officially released or not.

So all that can be checked for bugs and regressions are the unofficial
snapshots.

Is this correct?

Christoph