incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Expanding Review and Contributions as AOO 3.4 Approaches
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:57:15 GMT

> Short answer: At Apache, release candidates are not releases and
> don't appear anywhere that releases do.  With respect to the outside
> world, they are unofficial, intermediate work.
>
> - Dennis
>
> This is my understanding:
>
> The RC artifacts are made available the same way as developer
> snapshots and previews. (If you look at the links, you'll see that
> the RC1 artifacts are on the release manager's Apache account.)
>
> The difference is that a release candidate is packaged in the form of
> artifacts on which release votes happen.  When a release vote is held
> and passes, those are the artifacts that will then be put up as a
> release, populated on mirrors, etc.

yes, OK, perfectly clear... and the "usual" I think

> Since these candidates are not releases, it is inappropriate to
> notify the user base, make an ASF announcement, etc.  They should not
> be provided at the download page either.
>
> In some sense, there is a feature and code freeze in effect for the
> release, except for any necessary repairs that require a new
> candidate to be produced.  The need for repair can come about as part
> of the in-Apache review of the candidate and independently as the
> result of a release-blocking defect reported by anyone.
>
> Because of that level of stability, this is a time when investment of
> any volunteer testing, trial use, etc., is valuable in both how the
> candidate deploys and how it is usable.  It's not a moving target and
> additional explorations are well-spent, especially for any
> show-stopper that is uncovered.

got it...which is also why the packs available on the wiki are called
"unofficial" developer snapshots rather than "official" developer
snapshots I think. Really, this is a VERY confusing point for me. :(

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 14:21
> To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org Cc: OOo-dev Apache Incubator; 'Louis
> Suárez-Potts' Subject: Re: Expanding Review and Contributions as AOO
> 3.4 Approaches
>
> Howdy,
>
> I have a few basic questions - sorry if this has been covered and I
> missed it.
>
> How extensive an announcement are we looking for with this?
>
> The files are not on the mirror system at this moment, right, so
> it's premature to blast out to the full user base, correct?
>
> Will the RC files go to the mirrors, BTW, and I suppose in the same
> question - will the download pages on the main ooo site be used for
> RC as in the past? If so then that is the point at which we want to
> promote the RC more broadly, so I would think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> //drew
>

> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 13:37 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3c01df01cd1c10$b4f45ba0$1edd12e0$@acm.org%3e>

[ ... ]

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,