incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Is there any way to reach extension authors?
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 01:42:57 GMT
On 4/13/12 1:13 AM, Christoph Jopp wrote:

> Am 12.04.2012 17:45, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts<luispo@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,

AOO 3.4

>>> I think it actually also makes sense to initiate a new effort to get extension
writers. We did this several years ago, but at the time, b/c of the typical politics of some
big corporations, we ran up against some obstacles, that I think won't exist now.

>>> What I would like to do, then, is to have a programme that could work with community
colleges such as Seneca, with which I have contacts and with which OOo had worked before,
and with universities Eric B. has worked with. As well, with the many smaller companies making
up the ecosystem.

>>> Do keep in mind that we realized many years ago that the best way to expand the
developer and contributor community of OOo was via the extensions. It was this idea that impelled
me, that compelled Juergen, that stimulated the early creators of the Extensions project.

>> Would it make sense to start with a new list, ooo-extension-authors or
>> similar, with the aim to:
>>
>> 1) Develop a community of extension authors, where they can share tips
>> and techniques with each other, as well as with the AOO programmers.
>>
>> 2) Provide a single place where the AOO PMC can give head's up warning
>> of API changes or additions, advertise the availability of new dev
>> snapshots, and in general try to coordinate a release cycle where AOO
>> releases are accompanied by simultaneous availability high quality 3rd
>> party extensions.
>>
>> 3) Provide a place for new extension authors to ask questions and get support
>>
>> I think in most Apache projects, the "users" list would be where such
>> topics would be handled.  But our "users" are end users, not developer
>> users.  So we would want a different list for this.
>>
>> (ooo-dev was another logical place for this, but I think the traffic
>> level would be a deterrent for someone who is only interested in
>> extensions)
>
> +1000 to all three points.

well, it was the initial idea to create further lists on demand. I don't
see this demand at the moment and would prefer if we continue for now
here on the list by simply using the tags [API],[EXTENSIONS] that we
have introduced at the beginning. That would make it easy for all to
create filter to focus on this email but it would also allows others
(newcomers) to see, read and join efforts that going into this direction.

Juergen

>> -Rob
>>
>>> louis

above. It may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and
any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.