incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject [DL LOGIC] How to choose a mirror when more than 1 is available?
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 14:13:04 GMT
For our new release we will have a changed set of conditions:

- new central mirror hosts for redirecting download requests
- therefore also a new set of mirror server that host our builds
- new set of supported platforms and languages
- slighty changed file name schema

To get this all under one hat, we have to improve the download logic
that is currently done by JavaScript.

To fulfill the first condition the download requests have to be split-up
to more than 1 central mirror redirector.

Here is a suggestion for choosing when (by random number) to redirect to
which mirror:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html

Test results:
- to make debugging easier I've included some screen output and comments
- I've tested it locally with different combinations of active/inactive
   hosts and it works well
- the fallback method works well, too
- I've tested different percent values as ratio, but not yet for the
   2nd case

What do you think?

Marcus