incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [INFRA] About Testing the SourceForce Mirror of AOO 3.4
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:52:50 GMT
Am 04/05/2012 04:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Roberto Galoppini<rgaloppini@geek.net>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We at SourceForge have worked the last ten days to line-up dedicated
>> infrastructure (including CDN services) to support the upcoming AOO
>> download serving test.
>>
> Excellent!
>
>> To advance on a test swing of traffic from Apache's existing download
>> service over to SourceForge.net, we need a member of the Infra team as
>> our point-of-contact for the test and we commit to kickoff of testing
>> within 48 hours after we make initial contact.
>>
> What kind of testing are you looking for?
>
> Right now, the main entry point for user downloads are one of these pages:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/ (redirected from
> http://download.openoffice.org)
>
> We (the AOO PMC) control the contents of these pages.  We don't need to
> involve Infra to make modifications there.
>
> The pages currently route the download requests to the MirrorBrain network.
>
> If I understand the 3.4 mirror plan correctly, we would have two download
> links, probably at the topmost level, which would be www.openoffice.org and
> maybe download.openoffice.org.

This will not work. Either we use MirrorBrain or SourceForge. But both
at the same time is not possible. At least when you want to use the
automatism and not hard-coded download links.

> If you want to prototype something to test this with the legacy 3.3
> downloads, that sounds OK with me.  However, I'm not very familiar with the
> logic in that page, and how it determines what file to download based on
> platform and locale.
>
> Is there someone on the AOO project who understands this logic, and how we
> can modify these pages to offer a link to SF for downloads?

Until last April I was working on the download webpages. But I haven't
invented all the stuff, so I think I don't understand every little path
of the logic.

> Our Site Operations director, Jacob Moorman, has already sent a
>
>> private email with his Apache Infra contacts (from the AOO Extensions
>> cutover) asking who will manage the traffic cutover.
>>
>> We look forward to advancing to the test phase.
>>

> Yes.   If we can test with the 3.3 legacy downloads that will give us some
> greater confidence that it will also work with the 3.4 downloads.

I suggest to make use of the test area
(http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/) to leave the well-working
production area away from problems.

When we are sure the download is also working with SourceForge, then we
can use it for the new releases.

Marcus