incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@FreeBSD.org>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS]Alternative for Report Builder?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:14:51 GMT
On 04/04/12 00:14, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4. April 2012 at 01:08, drew wrote:
it

>>> The code is under the software grant. The issue here is that these
>>> extensions rely on GPL libraries, though all related code is now under
>>> ALv2:

>>> * PDF Import:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/sdext/source/pdfimport/
>>>
>>> That is, someone has to build them (and maintain them) as external
>>> projects.
>>>

> No not really. The problem are the dependent libs as already pointed out. There is no
or no easy replacement for this external stuff that is license compatible. Not nice and we
would love to have alternatives ...
> If volunteers will provide an alternative implementation that would be Apache compatible
then we will continue the support and include it as bundled extensions.

The pdfimport could use pdfbox, however my understanding is that even with
a replacement the feature was not really complete without OCR
capabilities, (yes
tesseract) but well.. it involves real work(TM).

The other libraries would be excellent examples of how to do extensions.

Hmm... just for reference, I started looking "OOo Extensions for
Dummies" guide
on google and I got to this page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/API/Samples

It has a link to the contrib dir in the old SVN server. We haven't
replicated that
in the Apache SVN. Thankfully the files are in ooo-legacy-svn in
apache-extras
in case we lose the original SVN.

Pedro.