incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Trying this again: "self-voicing mode
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:09:51 GMT
On 02.04.2012 20:13, Kevin Sisco wrote:
> My apologies for the null thread.  I was talking with people who are
> sick of having to load the java access bridge.

Can you tell us what the actual problem is?

That Java is loaded, that accessibility is activated, something else?

> I propose that on
> installation, the user is asked if he would like to use "self voicing
> mode."  This will use Microsoft Narrator which will read the screen.
> Just a thought.

I am afraid that accessibility support is not that simple.  Much of our
screen content is painted by ourself, in a way that the OS is not
necessarily able to detect where for example text is painted.
It would be interesting how well Microsoft Narrator is working with AOOm
though.

And there is the issue with AOO being a multi platform application.  I
assume that Microsoft Narrator is not available on Linux?

Regards,
Andre