incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>
Subject Openoffice distribution
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 08:44:26 GMT
[Apologies if this makes it to the list twice - I'd neglected to
subscribe the first time I tried sending it through]

Hi,

At ACNA I mentioned to Shane that the company that I work for was
interested in re-distributing OO but was concerned over the legalities
of doing so - specifically regarding trademark use.  After explaining
the company and project in detail he said that he thought it could work
out, and directed me to poll the podling as a prerequisite for getting
trademark approval from the ASF.  Although that project (at work) was
frozen by the time I returned from Vancouver, it's come up in discussion
again, so I'd like to ask the podling for permission to use the
trademarks and guidance on how to best keep the podling's interests in mind.

The company focuses on monetized installers, similar to those found in
Oracle's JAVA windows installer or on CNET downloads (which is actually
our product), where we offer an opt-in bundled software download as part
of the installer.

Currently, our team has come up with mockups for the installer and
landing page for the download, which I'd be happy to provide in the form
of attachments on-list, or off-list (or on a wiki if that's the "right
way to do it").

What we want to know, specifically is:
1) How to brand the product?  Given we're talking about 3.3.0 (at least
until 3.4.0 happens), we thought to simply brand it OpenOffice.org
Should we continue that line, or use Apache OpenOffice?  If the latter,
should we include "Incubating" and the logos set out at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal or
not?
2) We'd like pointers on the right place (if any) to include (TM) or (R)
or anything else both on the landing page and on the installer.
3) Other general pointers that you have.

Thanks,
   Issac