incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] NOTICE and LICENSE file
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:52:11 GMT
Hi,

> Hi

>> Thx for the input so far.
>>
>> My work stopped, because of the ongoing discussion on legal-discuss. Greg Stein
>> has started at legal-discuss a corresponding thread, named "use of LICENSE and
>> NOTICE". To be sure how to proceed I will send the following information to
>> legal-discuss:
>>
>> List of links on apache.org with information regarding the content of the
>> LICENSE file and the NOTICE file which I have found:
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>> [2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
>> [3] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#header-existingcopyright
>> [4] http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
>> [5]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
>> [6]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice
>>
>> My intepretation of this information and the information given in the thread at
>> legal-discuss is the following:
>> - Content of LICENSE file - general conclusion:
>> -- Apache license at the top
>> -- Licenses of all 3rd party components included in the specific package of a
>> release inclusive a clear identification of the files to whose the license apply.
>>
>> - Content of NOTICE file - general conclusion:
>> -- Standard copyright notice as given at [1] at the top
>> -- Notices which are required by 3rd party component licenses which should be
>> quite rare.
>>
>> - Further conclusions by orw for the Apache OpenOffice (incubating) project:
>> -- We (AOO incubating) are planning to release a source package and binary
>> packages. The binary package will include certain category-b licensed
>> components. Thus, I assume that we need for each package an own LICENSE file and
>> an own NOTICE file.
>> -- The LICENSE file and the NOTICE file for the source package will cover the
>> licenses of our source files.
>> -- The LICENSE files and the NOTICE files for the binary package will cover
>> additionally all licenses from the enabled category-b licensed components.
>>
>> If there are no objections I will continue my work regarding the above
>> interpretations.
>>

> There is already feedback on legal-discuss regarding my post.
> A short summary:
> - It seems that LICENSE file and NOTICE file of integrated Apache projects as
> 3rd party components need to be considered. E.g. Apache APR
> - It seems that notices of 3rd party components which are licensed under the
> Apache license need to be considered. E.g. serf
> - For our planned binary packages the bundled dictionary extensions need to be
> considered.
>
> If you are interested in further details you may have a look at
> http://markmail.org/thread/ze722s7ovb5pjdnn
>

> Thus, I will continue my work on this task:
> [...]

I have finished my rework on the LICENSE file and the NOTICE file regarding the
feedback we have got.

Thx again to Pedro, who already did a great job on these files. And sorry Pedro,
that I have completely restructured the files.

I will continue to rework the newly created files LICENSE|NOTICE_category_b for
category-b licensed stuff in our planned binary packages. Herbert (hdu) has
already created these files with initial content from former LICENSE file and
NOTICE file.

Afterwards I will fill the LICENSE|NOTICE_aggreted files.

Best regards, Oliver.