incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Risto Jääskeläinen <>
Subject Re: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:31:01 GMT

There was for unknown reason mixture of UI texts and Tooltip texts in place for UI lines.
When I now look at Pootle, there is no long string at wrong places any more. At least not

I have no rights to accept anything in Pootle or elsewhere.

I don't know what is most easy way handle this case. If it can just edit web-page "rubbing"
out Finnish there it is OK to me.  I mean that if it is not advertised as ready suite with
Finnish translation then nobody is hurt?
This are only my opinions. I have no position to demand anything. I just happens there are
not many who can understand Finnish and as far as I know nobody of them has any rights to
handle accept translations etc.

Herbert Duerr [] kirjoitti:
> On 24.04.2012 16:55, Risto Jääskeläinen wrote:
> > See: Thread: Fix for bug 116639 almost
> I don't think that 116639 was the root cause. Looking at the problematic
> string in the screenshot you provided at
> the reason was simply a strange translation of what is named "Comments",
> "Kommentare", "Comentarios", "Commenti", etc. in other languages.
> In the Finnish localization as of AOO340_rc1 it reads:
> "Kun tämä valinta on tehty, ohjelman lisäämät tyhjät sivut tulostetaan.
> Tämä on tarpeen, kun tulostetaan kaksipuoleisesti. Esimerkiksi kirjassa
> \"luku\"-kappaletyyli on määritelty alkavaksi aina parittomalta sivulta.
> Jos edellinen luku päättyy parittomalle sivulle, %PRODUCTNAME lisää
> parillisen tyhjän sivun. Tämä valinta ohjaa mainitun parillisen sivun
> tulostusta."
> which is defined in the "STR_PRINTOPTUI 18" line of
> Getting such a long string into a poor little dialog is does of course
> cause some trouble.
> The other translations for the other STR_PRINTOPTUI lines in the finnish
> localize.sdf were also a bit long. Have they been fixed too?
>  >>> I am sorry if this is not correct way of voting
> I'd like to extend that question by asking (e.g. the mentors) if it
> should be possible to split the voting in such situations, so that e.g.
> individual localization could vote for a different revision? Is a
> staggered release process allowed?
> Otherwise there would be a inherent scalability problem in the release
> process of such a huge multi-platform and multi-language application
> targeted at end users: if one problematic localization could reset the
> work of everyone else then this would be a recipe for a lot of
> frustration, as building, distributing, announcing and especially
> testing of a new revision is a huge effort and a lot of people are involved.
> Herbert

View raw message