incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] new DL test...needs review and comments, and probably correction
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 21:01:53 GMT

On Apr 27, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
>>> /download/index.html page at:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
>>> Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
>>> you to see, but will of course go away in production.
>>

>> The page is nice, but it's the concept that leaves me dubious.
>>
>> We have another thread
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/16219
>> where there seems to be consensus towards a solution that:
>> 1) Uses SF (and possibly Apache) for the web-based downloads
>> 2) Does not phase out MirrorBrain, and uses it for the updates (i.e.,
>> downloads initiated by OpenOffice with the "Look for updates" function)
>>

> That's what I understand as well.
>
>> The "possibly Apache" in 1) is due to the fact that I haven't understood yet
>> what technology Apache will be using and if Apache will distribute only
>> sources or binaries too (it's obvious that we as a project will release
>> sources and binaries, but I'm not 100% sure that Apache wants to put
>> binaries on its mirrors too: I think so).
>>
>> Fact is, we should avoid the random selection as much as possible, mainly to
>> be able to quickly identify problems, and you will see details in that
>> thread. The cleaner separation we can get, the better.
>>

> So how about something very simple:
>
> 1) AOO 3.4 downloads use SourceForge by default from the
> /download/index.html page.  Just like they are doing today.
>
> But we also have a links there that point to Apache mirrors for:
>
> a) Hashes and detached signatures

Hashes and detached signatures are hosted elsewhere in Apache releases. Not on the mirrors.
http://poi.apache.org/download.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Joe has suggested that we follow a cgi approach for Apache mirrors. Kay asked for help with
this approach. I hope to have time next Monday/Tuesday to dialog with Infra on this.

> b) source distribution
> c) a link to the full release tree
>
> In other words, no rolling the dice, noting fancy.  100% of normal
> users will download from SF.

What Kay has done can be adapted in any direction. Let's learn how to do the Apache CGI approach
and then make a decision by Tuesday?

If we allow more than one mirroring system then the user should be able to choose for themselves...

BUt we already have Marcus, Rob, Kay, Peter, Infra and SF cooking in this kitchen. We can't
keep redefining the problem.

Regards,
Dave